PDA

View Full Version : Impress or PowerPoint?

kaldor
March 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Some people say that Impress is nowhere near as good as PowerPoint is right now. I had to install MS Office for school (on Ubuntu of course) and I decided to compare the two for myself.

Note: I haven't used MS Office since the late 90's. Corel's suite was the thing then.

I have to say I actually like a Microsoft product for once. PowerPoint is a wonderful tool. I prefer it to OpenOffice's Impress right now. I found that much less interfered with me, and that the animations were better and didn't lag nearly as much as OpenOffice for me. I can see why even Linus Torvalds prefers PowerPoint to the competition.

Word isn't anything special. Neither is Excel. PowerPoint is the real gem in this suite. I will continue to use Impress where I can though; I rather support a FOSS project and spread that to improve it. But at least I won't feel too bad about using PowerPoint.. it actually does the job very well.

Thoughts?

Queue29
March 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
If you think Powerpoint is that much better, take a look at the OSS alternative to OneNote.

Paddy Landau
March 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I don't use PowerPoint because I'm not going to spend money buying something that I almost never use. But if you use it regularly, it's within your budget, and you prefer it, then go for it!

It really does boil down to a personal opinion based on personal circumstances.

kaldor
March 25th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I don't use PowerPoint because I'm not going to spend money buying something that I almost never use. But if you use it regularly, it's within your budget, and you prefer it, then go for it!

I'm just surprised I actually don't mind using an MS product for once. I've never had good luck with any of their flagship products.

AllRadioisDead
March 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM

You don't use something because you refuse to spend money on something you almost never use?

Paddy Landau
March 25th, 2010, 07:46 PM
You don't use something because you refuse to spend money on something you almost never use?
No, "refuse" is too strong a word. There's no principle involved. And I should have clarified that I have a cheaper alternative (Impress). In this case, I simply have higher priority things to spend my money on!

ugm6hr
March 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I agree.

Powerpoint is a bit more intuitive than Impress. However Impress in OO 3 has been a big step up from OO 2 which was very buggy.

OO Base also has a little way to go - but I'm getting to like it now.

But I use OO as much as possible, even at work, now that I've got my own computer (which I can install OO on) - although I haven't used MS Office 2007.

insane_alien
March 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM
pfft neither powerpoint nor impress can match the power of sockpuppets!

Nevon
March 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I would agree with the person above me. I've never really liked powerpoint presentations as a visual aid. But if I have to use one, I really don't mind using either one. I prefer Powerpoint's UI, but I have found Impress to be a good substitute if you don't mind the UI.

l.billon
March 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
pfft neither powerpoint nor impress can match the power of sockpuppets!

Brillant!

I sometimes have to do presentations, and I can't use one of the two anymore since I got used to the beamer LaTex package.

juancarlospaco
March 25th, 2010, 10:15 PM
When PowerPoint can do 3D transitions like Impress tell me...

init1
March 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Impress is usually fine for what I need it to do, although I do know people who absolutely hate OpenOffice. I use Google Docs more than OpenOffice though. It's totally awesome being able to edit a document at the same time as someone else.

phrostbyte
March 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I've used Impress for a recent tech talk I did. I think it's better then PowerPoint because of the OpenGL transitions. :) It also has some nice templates.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I use both, and have both installed on my pc. I think the whole office 2007 suite is vastly superior to it's OO counterparts, although calc is growing on me.

Dharmachakra
March 26th, 2010, 02:02 AM
There are a couple of small features in PowerPoint 07' that I like. I whipped up a presentation last night and found the ability to easily colorize and blur the edges of an image to match the presentation design particularly nice.

madjr
March 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
anyone tried koffice 2.0 recently?