PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nagios install problems

kel_gb
March 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hi All

I'm trying to install nagios on Ubuntu 9.10 (desktop) but keep getting the same error when I enter the 'make install-webconf' command

make: *** No rule to make target `install-webconf'. Stop.

I've followed the quick install guide from the nagios web site and even tried searching around the web for a solution but I can't seem to find one. All other commands prior to this have worked fine.

Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution?

Nb - i'm not a complete linux newbie but am not exactly advanced so clear instructions would be awesome and I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks
Kel

gordintoronto
March 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
The format of the command is incorrect. I suspect there should be a space before the dash, but that is just a guess.

It would have been helpful to provide a link to the "quick install guide," which I have not been able to find on the Nagios web site. Did you cut and paste the command from the guide?

kel_gb
March 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi

Sorry the link is: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart.html

Looks like the instructions didn't include a space before the -webconf

Thanks gord, Much appreciated - it's always the simplest things isn't it :)

Kel

deznuts05
April 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Not sure if this is a related problem however in parting of creating my nagios software I tried to assign the machine a static ip.

Once I was able to do that I lost the ablity to access the internet. What I've done to resolved that was to remove the network manager and manually edit the interfaces file.

I now have access to the internet however I've lost the ability to access http://localhost/nagios

anyone else have this problem?

Notandi
May 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM
The URL to Nagios is localhost/nagios3

Default user is nagiosadmin but there is a JRock YouTube video for that.

I gave up on Ubuntu for Nagios. It puts everything in the wrong directory. Presently trying SUSE but its not much easier.

Lord_Dicranius
May 9th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I tried installing Nagios via the repositories too, but didn't like that everything was in the /etc directory. Especially considering all of the guides you read says it's installed in /usr/local. I just followed the Ubuntu quickstart guide over on the Nagios site. Even though it says the guide was written using 6.10, it still worked for me on 10.04!