PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] no session available after upgrade to 9.10

otz070
March 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I upgraded jaunty to karmic and now I when I click on my username there is no password prompt.
I can't login to a normal gui

tty works but anything that don't run in terminal I get an error (see below)

heres the rundown of what happens:
Everything goes fine until I get to the login screen.
There I get the standard new karmic login. I click my username,
then all the misc stuff pops up at the bottom (keyboard ect.)
but for session there is an "X" icon and the box is greyed out.
additionally there is no password prompt.

what I tried:
I went into tty1 and run aptitude "update" & "dist-upgrade"
did checks for broken packages (found nothing)
attempted to access anything via different programs (firefox, pcmanfm, ect) I get error something like "cannot open display"
I checked to makesure that I had openbox & lxsession installed
(was running openbox on previous installs as well)

Every other machine I've upgraded to karmic I've had maybe a couple problems but their managable, this machine seems to have a difficult time with the upgrade reguardless...

right now I'm running Crunchbang, but I posted here, cause I seem to get errors like this on this particular computer reguardless of which Ubuntu install I upgrade to 9.10.

I'd try reinstalling but its kinda usless since the problem happens reguardless.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help:)

otz070
March 28th, 2010, 03:17 AM
ok well tried more stuff today:
removing and reinstalling:
lxsession, gdm

also stopping/starting various things

reguardless I still have no password prompt!

sorry to say but this is getting frustrating especially since this is the computer that I do all my work on.:-(

please help?!

wolfkstaag
March 28th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Nvidia card, by any chance?

If so, try upgrading to the newest driver; I've heard that's supposed to be causing some problems, though I seem to remember than being more related to 10.04 than 9.10, but it's a thought.

I had a problem recently where I was stuck in a login loop after upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04 Beta1; the primary similarity here is that my Session box had exactly what you've described. A user in the #ubuntu+1 IRC room on Freenode (whose screen name I sadly don't recall) had me do something a long the lines of CD'ing into my home directory and renaming .config, .gconf, .gconfd, and .gnome2 to something else (.config_backup, for example) and then trying to login. It worked in my case; don't know if it will help you (especially since you aren't seeing a prompt), but it's an idea!

otz070
March 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
yes as a matter of fact I do. :oops: I forgot to list my computer specs:
NVIDIA GEForce 6200 512mb gddr2
1gib ddr (2x 512)
AMD athlon xp 3000+ 2100mhz
Kernal ver: 2.6.31-20-generic

sorry bout that
hopefully this will make things easier to diagnose?

otz070
March 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM
anyone have any suggestions at all?

otz070
March 29th, 2010, 11:03 PM
got it fixed:

sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

it ended up installing alot of packages as per dependencies, so not really sure exactly what it needed...

anyways I just installed it on a whim, for some reason I had a hunch I guess that if I installed gnome that I could atleast maybe get gnome to work.

Anyway seems that everything (well almost) works correctly now:D
I didn't even have to login to gnome either, after the install everything was fixed, and openbox was there in sessions, and the password prompt returned!

go figure

diablo666
April 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
The tweak worked for me, but i got to use command

apt-get purge gnome-control-center
Probably some config make some strange

Cya