PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error during automatic update today

welshmike
March 25th, 2010, 11:50 AM
The update reported an error today. I copied the detail but it would'nt paste here.
Did anyone else have an update error?

hansdown
March 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hi welshmike.

I just did an update; samba, google chrome, and 3 others.

No errors.

Does your system have any problems running?

drs305
March 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I updated lucid this morning without problem, but that point goes to the problem with the original post.

You should probably tell us what release you are using. I know error messages can be difficult to capture, but it can really help with troubleshooting. There are various log files which are now viewable in recent releases via System, Administration, Log File Viewer. Updates are often recorded in dpkg.log

Note: You can also add the release you are using in your profile, so if you forget to include that information in the post us 'helpers' can check beneath your avatar. You enter that information via the User CP, Your Profile, Edit Your Details.

Hope the error isn't causing too many problems. If you need help fixing any that arose from the update try to give us some more information and we'll help.

welshmike
March 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hi welshmike.

I just did an update; samba, google chrome, and 3 others.

No errors.

Does your system have any problems running?

No problems so far but I've yet to restart.

welshmike
March 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for info and offer of help.
It's usually me who helps ******* users with their horrific experiences with Redmond's Rubbish. (What is it about those guy's implementation of the Registry and the DLL mess?) Last nightmare was an elderly lady who had some 170 infected files, a dozen viruses including worms, trojans, a rogue dialler (cost her £60), dropper, keyboard capturer, etc, etc and several rootkits.
I've fixed dozens of PCs for ******* users and do it for free but try to persuade them to switch to Ubuntu.
The above lady's nightmare is the first one I couldn't fix. Her Windows XP PC would remain stalled but I managed to retrieve her personal data, pictures, etc, by booting a live Ubuntu distro :D and recreating XP from her PC's restore partition.
I switched my wife's laptop to Ubuntu for Xmas and she is delighted with the significant increase in performance over XP.

I've now updated User CP to show that I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.