PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't start totem after faulty upgrade

aleksey.zalesov
March 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hello!

I started #aptitude safe-upgrade and switched to another user. Gdm showed the error and hung down the system. So I did reboot.

After reboot if I start totem I see such a result:

$ totem
ImportError: No module named gobject

** (totem:1978): WARNING **: Could not import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk
Segmentation faultThe output of rhythmbox is similar:

$ rhythmbox
ImportError: No module named gobject

** (rhythmbox:2025): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

** (rhythmbox:2025): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

(rhythmbox:2025): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Could not import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk
Segmentation fault
I tried to complete the upgrade with aptitude safe-upgrade, but it shows that all packages are up to date. I am afraid that some other packages are affected by this crash. How can I repair system?

mango42
March 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have a similar problem since upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 (i386 on a Thinkpad T43 laptop)

Totem, RhythmBox, CD/DVDCreator (Brasero?) and Banshee all fail to load or function, whereas VLC and Flash in A Browser and Opera 10 work fine.

$ totem
sys:1: Warning: g_param_spec_internal: assertion `(name[0] >= 'A' && name[0] <= 'Z') || (name[0] >= 'a' && name[0] <= 'z')' failed

ERROR: Caught a segmentation fault while loading plugin file:
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstfrei0r.so

Please either:
- remove it and restart.
- run with --gst-disable-segtrap and debug.
Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal

The exact same error comes up when running Rhythmbox, Banshee and Brasero from the command line, so it looks like /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstfrei0r.so is the culprit but what to do about it? I have tried complete re-installation of these apps from Synaptic but there's no change for the better. Searching specifically for libgstfrei0r in Synaptic draws a blank...

aleksey.zalesov
March 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I solved this problem.

# aptitude reinstall python-gobject

New aptitude command is learned ;)

mango42
May 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
FYI, I finally pinned the problem down to when I attempted to install Openshot - once completely removed, the media players sprang back into action.