PDA

View Full Version : Advice to convert newbies to Linux?

opethfan89
March 25th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hi all

My recent campaign of spreading the word about Ubuntu has worked, and I already have 3 friends who want to try it out. I posted an album of screenshots with all my nifty eye candy on facebook, and I got quite a positive result.

Anywho, what advice would you guys give for me to convert my friends? I'm meeting a friend next week who wants to install Ubuntu...so what kind of features should I highlight? How should I explain the difference between Linux/Windows in simple terms, and make his transition painless? He has dabbled with linux before, and is a comp. sci. major so he really wants to take a genuine effort to learn how to use this great OS.

Thanks guys, any advice is appreciated

Opethfan89

swoll1980
March 25th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Compiz, and other things like it, are not a reason to use Linux. The novelty of wobbly windows will soon ware off when they realize they can't use Yahoo IM, or play Crises.

AllRadioisDead
March 25th, 2010, 05:35 AM
We're not a religion.

swoll1980
March 25th, 2010, 05:37 AM
We're not a religion.

Well, some of us are unfortunately.

Eisenwinter
March 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM
The best advice I can give you is not to try to convert them. It's for the best, trust me.

schauerlich
March 25th, 2010, 06:55 AM
"convert"

:(

Tom.Gee
March 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
You might point out that in the Windows world, each new 'feature' ultimately boils down to yet another loss for the end user, that is, the loss of control: Software preventing the user from using his computer in some way that Microsoft does not approve.

In the early days, Windows was about providing functionality. It did well at providing a common ground where your word processor or graphics program didn't need to know what video card, monitor, or printer were connected.

These days, sadly, it is more about tightening the stranglehold on the end user.

The Linux / GNU / Open Source / and especially the Ubuntu philosophy is everything that Windows isn't. It is a comfortable feeling to know there is an alternative.

opethfan89
March 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Ahh, I seem to have gotten the wrong word out. These are friends who all have expressed an interest to USE Linux so I am not doing anything against their will, or forcing them to do anything. Unfortunately the compiz-effects should not be the only reason, but if that is what it takes to expose them, then by all means. If they get bored and go back to windows, then nothing more can be done. At the very least, they will have a broader knowledge of the world of open source and free software, right?

We're not a religion.

Religion is relative :P

Eisenwinter
March 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
@Tom.Gee: do you have a viable source for this?

pbpersson
March 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Linux is about choice. You can choose from different desktop managers, different browsers, different file managers - they each have their strengths and weaknesses and they are all a little different. Also, in Linux you can customize ANYTHING so you can have a room of 100 Linux machines and it is quite possible that no two desktops will look alike.

In Ubuntu, it all works together, it is all relatively stable (if you are using the correct version), and you have a HUGE community to help if you get in trouble.

Most importantly, you don't need to worry about viruses and IT IS ALL FREE.

Psumi
March 25th, 2010, 07:23 AM

check The BIG list of features removed in Windows 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_7)...

Tom.Gee
March 25th, 2010, 07:27 AM
@Tom.Gee: do you have a viable source for this?Merely anecdotal observation. I am a Windows user, personally looking for an alternative to the bullyism I've become more and more aware of over the decades...

Tom.Gee
March 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
check The BIG list of features removed in Windows 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_7)...
Thank you. I wish I could find the last treatise I've read on Trusted Computing. I've got such an awful memory for where I last read something...

sxmaxchine
March 25th, 2010, 07:32 AM
just mention what you can do on ubuntu and the basic advantages like very little chance of gettign a virus, but be sure to mention that there windows programs will not work on ubuntu

AllRadioisDead
March 25th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Those are all pretty small features, and half of them were replaced with newer features, especially those in the "task bar" category, with the new superbar. FYI, Gnome doesn't have most of the features they removed anyways.

Paqman
March 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM
You know your friend better than us, so you know what will work best. Tailor your approach to his learning style.

Some people are theorists, and will respond to big-picture concepts like software freedom. Other people are pragmatists, and will respond to hands-on demonstrations of features.

Get him to write down a list of all the things he wants to achieve with the computer, then let him find out how to do them, and guide him in the right direction where he needs it. Don't just jump on there and show him what you do, because it's about him not you.

madjr
March 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hi all

My recent campaign of spreading the word about Ubuntu has worked, and I already have 3 friends who want to try it out. I posted an album of screenshots with all my nifty eye candy on facebook, and I got quite a positive result.

Anywho, what advice would you guys give for me to convert my friends? I'm meeting a friend next week who wants to install Ubuntu...so what kind of features should I highlight? How should I explain the difference between Linux/Windows in simple terms, and make his transition painless? He has dabbled with linux before, and is a comp. sci. major so he really wants to take a genuine effort to learn how to use this great OS.

Opethfan89

ok, first make sure they try Open source software in Windows and get used to it (firefox, vlc, chrome, gimp, inkscape, pidgin, openoffice, etc.) Get a list of the software they usually use

let em know that FOSS is just playing safer, no spyware ever and security patches quickly

FOSS is a new way to think, is like net neutrality, creative commons, saving the whales, recycle and stop global warming. It's just the right thing to do. this should be specially effective on people with a good sense of morality or consciousness

show them pics of any FOSS party/fest you or someone you know attended

show them the power of the live-cd, install ubuntu on another partition and let them know it's useful

-no viruses
-no spyware
-no keyloggers
-safer on the internet (specially shopping is much safer)
-save hours and hours every month on maintenance
-ubuntu is light and fast
-serves as a backup OS and rescue system in case windows F**ks up

-revive older computers with tons of new software

-cool package manager / app center (software center, they will like being spoiled )

-really modular, no limits
give them choice, dont impose anything to them
make sure they try both gnome and kde4, see which one they like most (you can install both, just look for "kubuntu-desktop")

let them know that learning linux, can be a good $ource of income and great on the resume. It's also 1 of the bests programming environments

they could be using linux right now without knowing (i.e on an Android phone; webOS, nokia with maemo, tablets, household devices dvr, etc. linux is everywhere these days)

1 day linux will even be controlling their car or on their household robot, its the future.

Mention, don't preach. give them the info from time to time, they will absorb it. Let them know that the human brain can take up to 2 weeks to fully adapt to something as different as a new OS

anyway most importantly have fun. If something is new, cool, fun and even challenging then it becomes really interesting. Some vids from youtube usually do the trick

show confidence and that you really enjoy what you're doing. Let them "want" to do or have similar tools as you do.

good luck, some of them could become as excited as you

RabbitWho
March 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Die Welle is free on youtube at the moment.. I'm just saying...

jayze
March 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM
You might point out that in the Windows world, each new 'feature' ultimately boils down to yet another loss for the end user, that is, the loss of control: Software preventing the user from using his computer in some way that Microsoft does not approve.

In the early days, Windows was about providing functionality. It did well at providing a common ground where your word processor or graphics program didn't need to know what video card, monitor, or printer were connected.

These days, sadly, it is more about tightening the stranglehold on the end user.

The Linux / GNU / Open Source / and especially the Ubuntu philosophy is everything that Windows isn't. It is a comfortable feeling to know there is an alternative.

NEVER A TRUER WORD!......and me for one I don't like being strangled!...Well put TomGee

Dragonbite
March 25th, 2010, 01:54 PM
You mean things like

thousands of programs that do practically anything you want
not needing to worry about virus and malware, nor having to scan for them all of the time (but antivirus programs available anyway)
Gimp, Inkscape
cool wallpaper/icons/themes
ease of adding new themes (Gnome-look.org, drag-and-drop)
panel applets
virtualbox
Ubuntu One

Too bad the music store isn't available yet for Karmic, or could show them that too.

Glad to hear of new people coming to Ubuntu! Show them the forums and parts of the ubuntu site so they can see the community too!

sudoer541
March 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi all

Opethfan89

pay them money I guess. It always works!

purgatori
March 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
The best advice I could give is to just be honest: highlight the unique advantages of Linux, but don't downplay the disadvantages.

mickie.kext
March 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Do YOU have any viable source for THAT :)

HoboJ
March 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
My only advice when it comes to "converting" people to linux is to be honest. Tell them right up front that their favourite proprietary windows applications will not run on linux then show them perfectly suitable alternatives if they exist. If after this shock they're still interested go nuts, show off the goods. At worst they can say they tried it but it wasn't their cup of tea, at best you've got a new convert.

XubuRoxMySox
March 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
One of the best bits of advice about "converting" people to Linux is this bit of wisdom offered from a very smart newbie in an article (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html) she wrote last year:

I might never have "converted" if I had felt no need to leave Windows. Just don't "recruit" people to change what they don't need to change! If it ain't broke, people are not willing to turn their whole operating system on its head just to gain some unknown advantage.

-Robin

Laxman_prodigy
March 25th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hi all

Opethfan89

Okay. First of all guide them to dual boot with the other OS.

Why?

Well. By doing this, they will be learning everyday by booting into Ubuntu rather than installing on the whole hard drive and sit and cry.

Don't force them but let them know about the FOSS culture. Various choices among free softwares.

Suggest them to have Ubuntuforums account too( if they are really interested in trying Linux).

bpalone
March 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is be sure they set up as DUAL BOOT. That way they have a security blanket at hand.

I made the almost total move about 2 years ago and I still keep my systems as dual boot. Not for a security blanket, but some Windows apps just perform better when being ran totally native. I also use VirtualBox for most times I need something out of Windows. In fact, most of the time I boot to Windows is to update the virus defs. and promptly go back to my favorite.

Don't pressure them, they need to want to find something different. Be sure they understand that Linux is not Windows.

edit: I see that I type to slow.

oldos2er
March 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Be sure they understand that Linux is not Windows.

Here's an article explaining that concept:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

d3v1150m471c
March 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Never convert, coerce, or convince anyone to use linux. Tell them the truth that it's usually stable, that it doesn't need defragmentation, that it doesn't encounter registry errors, but also tell them it has poor peripheral support, that it doesn't have some high-end software like photoshop, ect. Linux is not without problems and it shouldn't be argued otherwise. Be honest and upfront about it and people will have more respect for you and Linux in general.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 12:23 AM
For programmers, probably the best thing about Linux is how readily available developer tools are. Installing compilers, frameworks, libraries etc. is trivial with package management, but much more time consuming under Windows.

But I agree with most people here that you shouldn't try to "convert" anyone.

opethfan89
March 26th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Thank you everyone for all the advice. Again, I feel that I used the wrong word by using "convert" as opposed to "exposing", but hear me out for a second.

I am installing Linux for my friend on his laptop next week. He has used linux in the past, so he already knows bits and pieces about the culture + philosophy. He consciously WANTS to convert, having tried to do it in the past but not having had the...motivation? support? to do so. I am merely helping him to switch over to linux full time by showing him the advantages of running this great OS. By no means will I expect him to be up and running and punching terminal commands within the first two days. I fully expect to dual boot him with Vista and Ubuntu 9.10, or even use Wubi so he can at least get a feel for it.

Nothing I am doing is forceful or coercive, my friends have expressed a genuine interest in linux as I have mentioned many of the upsides of it (very few, if any, viruses, no spyware, safer, more secure, in some ways faster, etc), however I HAVE explained that not all of their favorite windows software will work on linux, and they are still willing to learn and experience a new OS. If anything, they will have been exposed to the FOSS movement, and have a new computing experience or knowledge.

Another friend of mine apparently works for a computer networking company that helps set up and maintain servers for websites, so he runs linux server-side and knows more than I do when it comes to some of the complicated aspects of maintaining a web server.

Anywho, I'll end this post now, thanks to everyone and I will make sure I show both the good and the bad to everyone who I show this wonderful OS to.

Thanks again :)

opethfan89