PDA

View Full Version : Can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow

aimeeda
March 25th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu netbook remix from a usb stick on an MSI Wind U100. The installer boot menu comes up, but both the Try... and Install... menu options do not work. If I boot without "quiet splash --" it stops with a screen full of the following information.

================================================== ====
(initramfs) stdin: error 0
BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) multi-call binary

Usage: mount [flags] DEVICE NODE [-o options,more-options]

... A list of options here ...

There are EVEN MORE flags that are specific to each filesystem
You'll have to see the written documentation for those filesystems

Can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow
================================================== ====

I have done a few searches in the Installation & Upgrades forum and have not found the help I need.

jbchurchill
May 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I get the same error.

I have an EeePC 900A

dino99
May 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
install MountManager and tweak as you need the devices and partitions

codex24
May 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM
install MountManager and tweak as you need the devices and partitions
How would you suggest using the MountManager when the system won't even boot?
Could you be a little more specific about the "tweak as you need" part?

I am having this error with ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso on an Asus EEE PC 1000HA, booting from the SD drive.

ar7499
May 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Did you ever get past this point? I am having the same problem. I am a Ubuntu newb, so any advice will be appreciated.

ar7499

codex24
May 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM
No, no progress. Not impressed with Ubuntu, not impressed with the kludgy install process, not impressed with this so-called "support".
C'mon people, the freaking netbook distro will not even BOOT on the industry-leading hardware. Epic Fail.

jelm0
May 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I used usb-creator.exe on Windows to create my USB. To get past the problem, I had to recreate it with the "Discarded on shutdown, unlessyou save them elsewhere" option.

Thanks to Rich Menga post at http://www.pcmech.com/article/ubuntu-netbook-remix-9-10-usb-install-workaround/

codex24
May 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hey, that worked, thanks for the response, jelm0 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=85457)
So, this problem has been around for a whole release cycle and no one has addressed it? If it is just a matter of a partition on the USB device not being mounted, it seems this should be easy to tweak the boot process to work around or to fix. Is this what dino99 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=129712) was talking about?

ar7499
May 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
jelm0,

thank you for the tip.

IT WORKS.

now I just need to learn how to use this OS :)

ar

aimeeda
May 31st, 2010, 07:14 PM
I remade my usb stick installer and tried again. It successfully installed this time. Subsequently upgraded to 10.04. I now have the same problem as in the "Wifi not connecting after 10.04 upgrade..." thread.