PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Workspaces

_h_
March 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM
How many of you use the Ubuntu workspaces on your computer?

blur xc
March 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I do- three on my desktop "cylinder". I find three to be most efficient for me, because whatever desktop I'm looking for is only ever one desktop away from the one I'm on...if that makes sense.

BM

TheNessus
March 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I do- three on my desktop "cylinder". I find three to be most efficient for me, because whatever desktop I'm looking for is only ever one desktop away from the one I'm on...if that makes sense.

BM

this is why I have shortkeys to each of my 4. one keystroke and I reach every workspace. Much more efficient than having to do only with 3. But I admit, I use 4 merely because it looks better when using the workspace grid, though I actually use 3 of them, but mostly merely 2.

audiomick
March 24th, 2010, 08:44 PM
With dual monitors, I don't feel much need to use them. Only occasionally for instance when my Girlfriend wants to use the computer for a while and I am in the middle of something.

Pogeymanz
March 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM

BM

This very simple reason has convinced me to try using three. +1 for you.

Psumi
March 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I use 4, so yes.

tica vun
March 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I always find a way to fill up available screen area it seems. I use two workspaces on my 3520*1200 desktop setup, and four on a 1280*800 laptop.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I use 2. Usually, I only need one but if my desktop is crowded then I'll use another workspace. The new version of AWN significantly helps with desktop clutter as it groups items, so this is less of an issue now.

I also run a windows7 virtual machine. So I'll run that at full resolution on one desktop and use the other desktop to show my linux stuff :)

Nickedynick
March 24th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've adopted a 3 workspace setup for a while now, but I tend to add another if I need extra space for a big piece of work. My workflow revolves around workspaces now, I've got Windows 7 on this PC too and whenever I have to use it for CAD I always feel really restricted not having them available.

Chronon
March 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I also use 4 workspaces. I especially find this handy on the netbook.

Nepherte
March 24th, 2010, 11:47 PM

NightwishFan
March 24th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I like the ability to have workspaces but I rarely use them. They just confuse me.

Hells_Dark
March 25th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I just could not live without.

JDShu
March 25th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I use 2. Usually, I only need one but if my desktop is crowded then I'll use another workspace. The new version of AWN significantly helps with desktop clutter as it groups items, so this is less of an issue now.

This is me as well.

Shpongle
March 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM
i have 4 but i only use 2 maybe 3 at max , say if im doing an assignment or programming , il have all the stuff related to that on one work space and if i wanna do something else like watch a movie etc il just use another one , i find it real handy to hibernate this way , i can return to a project or several with everything set up and still have a space for play stuff

Dragonbite
March 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I used to use four but now am using three.

I use [Cntl] + [Alt] + [->] or [Cntl] + [Alt] + [<-] to switch between them.