PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird 3 must have extensions.

donniezazen
March 24th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I am trying to setup Thunderbird 3 but can't seem to find proper resource and personal experience of must have extensions. I need following extensions.

1.System Tray,
2.Notification,
3.Google Calender and Task,
4.Any personalization extension (more control over folder something which makes it similar to gmail),
5.Spam filter,
6.RSS Reader.

What extensions do you use?

Thanks.

oldsoundguy
March 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I am trying to setup Thunderbird 3 but can't seem to find proper resource and personal experience of must have extensions. I need following extensions.

1.System Tray,
2.Notification,
4.Any personalization extension (more control over folder something which makes it similar to gmail),
5.Spam filter,
6.RSS Reader.

Thanks.

#1 No clue
#2 I use an audible in system sounds Pick a .wav, any .wav.
#3 I use http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
#4 No Clue .. don't use G-Mail
#5 Load Ad-Block plus and Script blocker .. also in your Firefox add-ons.
#6 Don't use

zerubbabel
March 25th, 2010, 02:26 AM
For mail notification in the system tray, I use "mail-notification" available in the repositories. It's a separate application rather than a Thunderbird plugin, so you have to set up your pop3 accounts separately from Tbird, but it works great.

ve4cib
March 25th, 2010, 02:58 AM
For tray icons have you considered Minimize To Tray Plus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2831)?

donniezazen
March 25th, 2010, 05:55 AM
For tray icons have you considered Minimize To Tray Plus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2831)?

I am right now using XULgecko tray which is very simple but works excellent only thing is Firetray has this nice notification system but its kinda sluggish.

chriswyatt
March 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I use Minimize To Tray Plus but it's kind of buggy, menu doesn't disappear sometimes and also it doesn't close Thunderbird when you click 'Close Thunderbird', seems to just open the Address Book instead :\ .

Still, better than nothing.

donniezazen
March 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I use Minimize To Tray Plus but it's kind of buggy, menu doesn't disappear sometimes and also it doesn't close Thunderbird when you click 'Close Thunderbird', seems to just open the Address Book instead :\ .

Still, better than nothing.

Yeah I tried them all but Minimize to tray plus works best.

TheNessus
March 25th, 2010, 11:56 PM
in KDE you can natively put any program in system tray. I've done so with thunderbird.

Menti
March 26th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I need following extensions.

1.System Tray,
2.Notification,
5.Spam filter,
6.RSS Reader.

Guess this could be good for 4, though I can't tell, don't use it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/thunderbird/addon/14896

I'm using Lightning, Compact Header (I hated those huge headers), Display contact photo, Libnotify popup (for Ubuntu notifications), Quote colors and Tiny Menu.

donniezazen
March 26th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Guess this could be good for 4, though I can't tell, don't use it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/thunderbird/addon/14896

I'm using Lightning, Compact Header (I hated those huge headers), Display contact photo, Libnotify popup (for Ubuntu notifications), Quote colors and Tiny Menu.

Thanks for suggesting Compact Header & Lib-notify.

I still have two problems. Is their any extension to permanently delete all spam? Probably look for some shortcut.

I usually check All Mail but now i have to even mark the mail that i have already read in both all mail and inbox. So, Once a mail is read in all mail should automatically be marked read in all other folders.

Thanks.

oldsoundguy
March 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
best way to delete spam is don't leave your eMail all over the web. Don't sign up for every free offer or whatever. And get a trash eMail account to leave at sites that require you "sign up and sign in". A Yahoo or HotMail type account and let it fill up.
Second way is to get an eMail provider that catches most of it for you.

I get, on average, 5-10 un-solicited eMails A WEEK.

Part of that is the first practice and part of that is Comcast's spam control.

donniezazen
March 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
best way to delete spam is don't leave your eMail all over the web. Don't sign up for every free offer or whatever. And get a trash eMail account to leave at sites that require you "sign up and sign in". A Yahoo or HotMail type account and let it fill up.
Second way is to get an eMail provider that catches most of it for you.

Part of that is the first practice and part of that is Comcast's spam control.

Inspite of everything you do get 1-2 spams daily.

hessiess
March 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM

I only get one or two spam emails in a entire year:)