PDA

View Full Version : Good International University for Open-source Education?

savantelite
March 24th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I am debating going over seas for further studies. But I don't want anymore microsoft classes. So does anyone have any suggestions for a positive Pro-Free Software University overseas?

BramWillemsen
March 24th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I know University of Utrecht (Netherlands) is very good when it comes to computer science and they kind of use all operating systems there afaik. Only took a few courses there since i have no major in computer sciences so can't tell for 100% sure.

Nepherte
March 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
The computer science department of the University of Leuven (Belgium) uses linux only. However, they do not teach an open-source philosophy explicitely, and I kind of agree. They certainly don't teach you how to work with Microsoft Office if that's what you mean. But then again, that has nothing to do with computer science.

matthew.ball
March 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
The Computer Science department at ANU uses GNU/Linux exclusively.

There's a masters (though it is available to higher undergraduates) course titled "Free and Open Source Software Development" which not only lectures on FOSS development principles, but the tutorial work is about contributing to an existing Open Source project (this project work is something like 60% of the assessment).

There are a few researchers in philosophy here who work in the area of computer ethics, though I don't know if they teach any courses.

A few of the academics here contribute either to the Linux kernel or the GNU tools. It's a pretty good school as far as Open Source advocates go, from what I have heard is available elsewhere.