PDA

View Full Version : A linux Register????

nexoncore
March 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Microsoft is always boasting that they have an unbelibaly large share when it comes to Desktop Operating System, but in all honesty I belive linux has a much larger stake than the media and rival's give it.

Sadly at the moment there is no way to statistically have prooth that linux is used by more than the number of people on a distro's forum or visiting linux conventions.

Do you think an voulentry online register would be a good idea, just something simple almost petition like where linux user's simply enter their name, email and primary OS e.g Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE ect ect.

Also, if there was one, would you sign it?

tica vun
March 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
http://counter.li.org/

_h_
March 24th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Was reading a thread on here few days ago that showed a website that had collected stats and estimated ~19,000,000 linux users.

standingwave
March 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Last I heard (October 2008) Canonical claimed 8M Ubuntu users users. And while Ubuntu is the most popular distro, I've never seen it with more than ~25% share of all distros. So that would put the Linux desktop at more than 30M.

2hot6ft2
March 24th, 2010, 10:24 PM
If there was a way without giving out my info like email and name, maybe by IP Address it could automatically register each OS since I use a few and have a few computers. I'm not a big fan of putting my info out there to be mined by spam bots.