PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Thoughts

sports fan Matt
March 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
What are your thoughts on Gmail? I like it so far, it seems less cluttered.

_h_
March 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Best thing since sliced bread.

malspa
March 24th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Works great here! Gmail user since about 2005.

MasterNetra
March 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I've had no problems with it.

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I use GMails IMAP connection so I get the same email/view at any of the computers at home. Plus I distro-hop often and with IMAP I don't have to worry about backing up and restoring past emails.

Since it is still accessible via the web, then I can check email while I am at work or class and again, not have to worry about which system I am/was using.

Combined with Contacts Sync in Evolution and Thunderbird, I don't have to worry about having to look up people.

I also use Google Calendar (wish my wife used them too) which I pull into Evolution or Thunderbird (if have the Lightning extension available).

If I can get Evolution or Thunderbird's Notes section to connect to Google, it would be the best-fitting Exchange/Outlook replacement out there! Then I could only whine about it not being easier to set up ;) !

matthew
March 24th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I love it. I quit running an email server and host the email for all my domains on Gmail now.

fatality_uk
March 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Again, gmail is very good.

jpeddicord
March 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM
The SMTP settings for external addresses are pretty nice. Can tell Gmail to sign in to another server to send a message to avoid it looking spoofed from another domain.

I've got Google Apps set up for some domains to forward/store some mail, which is handy.

AlanR8
March 24th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I am a (to quote from another thread) a "fanboi" of Gmail.

Have been using it about 6 months now and do not run a mail client at all. I used to use Outlook in Windows and T'Bird in Linux but these days I'm happy to leave things on the Web.

sports fan Matt
March 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM
So, I assume IMAP for for servers as if i'm reading right? This is where I am not knowledgeable.

themarker0
March 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I don't why maybe its because i use squirrel mail so much, but i prefer it.

jpeddicord
March 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM
So, I assume IMAP for for servers as if i'm reading right? This is where I am not knowledgeable.

You can access Gmail over the IMAP protocol, yes, though Gmail itself is mostly used over their web interface.

-grubby
March 24th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I love it and I've been using it about since it came out.

I've got Google Apps set up for some domains to forward/store some mail, which is handy.

Google Apps is awesome too, and I use it on 2 domains

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Actually, forgot some of the added features with Gmail that makes it that much more valuable.

I love that I can view a document in Google Docs without having to save it to my system first or have to have the application(s) required.

I like how when searching for a contact's name they don't have to be somebody in my contact book, it will search through all of my emails for people that have been sent to, or just included in other emails.

The filtering, though, I wish they could improve upon. I would love it if I could have it automatically filter it based on a contact group and so I can add or remove people there and have it automatically updated.

Not so long ago, I used Google Docs to take notes in a Javascript class. I could view it at home or in the class, download it if necessary or share it and send the link to fellow classmates. All without having to make sure I had any particular program installed, or dependent upon which seat I sat in each day.

EarthMind
March 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
It's great for a free alternative. It has always been better than Hotmail and Yahoo mail in every aspect: features, speed, security and reliability.

But I'd throw it away for a better, even if commercial, alternative immediately if there was one because I just don't like it scanning my mail for better ad deliveries. Moreover, I don't like Google having too much of my private information.

Lensman
March 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM
It's great for a free alternative. It has always been better than Hotmail and Yahoo mail in every aspect: features, speed, security and reliability.

But I'd throw it away for a better, even if commercial, alternative immediately if there was one because I just don't like it scanning my mail for better ad deliveries. Moreover, I don't like Google having too much of my private information.

There is much merit to that thought, however I do like the idea of on-line archives of mail that are accessible from a number of computers.

jpeddicord
March 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
There is much merit to that thought, however I do like the idea of on-line archives of mail that are accessible from a number of computers.

Agreed. You could certainly run your own mail server off a VPS or something using Roundcube for web or just plain IMAP.

sports fan Matt
March 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I hadn't thought of that. That can be an issue I can see, but it's not one for me quite yet.

J_Stanton
March 24th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Have been using it about 6 months now and do not run a mail client at all.
but, using thunderbird to handle all my gmail accounts in one place is nice since i don't have to login every time. i just the email button on my keyboard, and BAM! i can check all my accounts in a second.

samalex
March 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I just had to double-check, and my first email using my GMail account was on June 12, 2004. Dang has it been that long????

At any rate I use it for everything - email, calendar, tasks, Google Docs, etc. I also have a few other email accounts, some of which I've had since the mid-90's funneling into this account. I love the web interface (though I wish they'd add Folders) and I download everything via POP3 to my laptop so I have an offline copy. It's great!

Sam

DownTown22
March 24th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Best thing since sliced bread..

errrata
March 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Just checked my sign up date Feb. 2006. Two things I love about gmail labels and labels (being able to assign multiple labels to messages is imho a more elegant metaphor than folders). I think in the past 4 years I received 1 spam message (wish i kept it) and have never not been able to login.

sports fan Matt
March 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM
How can I get thunderbird to give me the latest email first, rather then the earliest email first?

K.Mandla
March 24th, 2010, 11:21 PM
What are your thoughts on Gmail? I like it so far, it seems less cluttered.
It works. I do not complain.

jpeddicord
March 24th, 2010, 11:50 PM
How can I get thunderbird to give me the latest email first, rather then the earliest email first?

Just click on the Date header again to reverse it. It should remember your setting between sessions, if I'm not mistaken.

crlang13
March 25th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I love Gmail. I made the switch a couple years ago from my ISP's email. My ISP only gave me 20 megs of storage and was always going down (and they charged me $1 a month for the address!). I didn't realize that they were charging me for it, but when I realized I felt totally scammed that they were giving such a substandard service compared to something I could get for free. I know $1 is nothing, but it's the principle.

The targeted ads in gmail worry me sometimes, but they're usually good for a laugh. You receive an email with the word "airplane" in it and suddenly there are all these ads for cheap flights :p

errrata
March 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
The targeted ads in gmail worry me sometimes, but they're usually good for a laugh. You receive an email with the word "airplane" in it and suddenly there are all these ads for cheap flights :p

I forgot about the ads it worries me sometimes too, but sometimes they are really funny in the inappropriate sense. Anybody have some good ones to share? (I know I do, will have search to find them).

DownTown22
March 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
What ads??

I don't have any ads in my Gmail account.

_h_
March 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
What ads??

They are text based ads, not the banner up in your face click this buy that type of deal most services (like Yahoo and Hotmail) have.

And they are also blocked via Adblock Plus too.

jpeddicord
March 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
What ads??

I'm guessing you have AdBlock or similar installed... turn it off and you'll see them to the right of message threads.

DownTown22
March 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Nope...no AdBlock or anything similar installed on my system.

I'm running 9.10 with the latest Chrome Beta...maybe I have something turned off in my options?

EDIT: Nevermind...apparently I'm blind. I just noticed my screen wasn't wide enough to display them, a little scrolling over and there they were.

konqueror7
March 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM
love it, way better on spam filtering than yahoo mail. only what negative is that it loads too slow on me, i usually don't delete my mail, but they said they will fix it soon. :D

KegHead
March 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hi!

So far-OK.

I use gmail for technical and computer use.

KegHead

aysiu
March 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'd like the option to disable "conversations" and just have messages.

liam.lah
March 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Got it back in 2004, i am totally hooked on google, gmail, google apps, android etc.

They ads scan for keywords in your emails, but i have read if the email is sensitive, ads wont show. So don't expect to see ads for funeral directors if someone sends an email about your grandmother dying. as hilariously innapropriate as that may be.