PDA

View Full Version : Security threat

sinhanikhil.5
March 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Is it unsafe to give your own name as user name and your personal email id in this website?
I am also using my personal email in evolution mail. Is that safe?

Please advise people.

red_Marvin
March 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Using your name here on the forum has the effect that someone can link you as a person to you as a forum poster. If that is a problem is more or less a personal decision.
Using your personal email here should not be a problem, since it is, or at least you can choose to hide it from public view.
Using your personal email in evolution is no more insecure than doing so with any other email client.

NightwishFan
March 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I leave my name open on Launchpad, and my email and all my personal IM clients open here and I have not yet had problems for all two years.

I use evolution as well, it is great.

undecim
March 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I leave my email, name, etc. open on the forums, launchpad and my blog.

I don't care about spam, because gMail does an amazing job at blocking it. In fact, I have yet to see any instance of imperfect spam blocking from gMail.

I'm also not worried about someone compromising my email. I've taken steps to secure it well.

sinhanikhil.5
March 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
It seems cool then, u guys always give me peace of mind.
And Red_Marvin if someone associate me in person with this forum i'll kinda love it.;)

Thanks guys

whiskeylover
March 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
With all the smack talk that goes in here, I'm sure a lot of people (including me) wont want their usernames to be associated with their real life personas.

sinhanikhil.5
March 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
With all the smack talk that goes in here, I'm sure a lot of people (including me) wont want their usernames to be associated with their real life personas.

lol Mr whiskeylover we dont want our usernames to be associated with our real life persona but our real names to be associated/used as our usernames in here.
for example my user name consist my first and last name.:)

sinhanikhil.5
March 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
this a test reply. plz ignore.