PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble Installing from CD

Clyktose
March 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 17 laptop that was preinstalled with Windows 7. I want to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu 9.10.

My problem is that when I boot from CD, it boots to the menu where you pick whether to boot from CD or install Ubuntu. I select 'install' and the screen goes blank and the CD spins for awhile, then it stops, but the screen remains blank. Any reasons as to why this is happening?

I also tried just booting Ubuntu from the CD without installing and the same thing happened.

Thanks,
Clyktose

team420
March 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Maybe a hardware conflict, try booting in graphics safe mode... press f4 when you come to the screen that asks to install or run live, then select safe mode. Hope this helps...

fogawe
March 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm trying a 9.10 install. I've downloaded the image and burned it to CD. When I boot the system up, I get the "choose language" screen, pick English and then get the Startup Window. I can't get beyond that though except by choosing Boot from first hard disk

Every other option locks the machine up. I've also tried F4 and choosing the safe graphics option but that makes no difference either.

Any ideas?

I've tried this on 3 PCs (all Lenovo, 2 desktops and a thinkpad), same result on each. The CD seems fine though.

Clyktose
March 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe a hardware conflict, try booting in graphics safe mode... press f4 when you come to the screen that asks to install or run live, then select safe mode. Hope this helps...

Thanks, that worked.