PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Word 2007 Service Packs

teejay17
March 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and have recently installed Word 2007 via Wine. It is working really well.
As I have an early disc of the program, I would like to know how to now install the service packs and the Office Live plugin; does anyone know how to do that?
The service packs have added extra features that I now use almost daily, like save as PDF, and the Office Live plugin will allow me to access some of the stuff I have saved online.
Thanks in advance.

teejay17
March 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and have recently installed Word 2007 via Wine. It is working really well.
As I have an early disc of the program, I would like to know how to now install the service packs and the Office Live plugin; does anyone know how to do that?
The service packs have added extra features that I now use almost daily, like save as PDF, and the Office Live plugin will allow me to access some of the stuff I have saved online.
Thanks in advance.
By early disk I mean one that does not ship with service packs included.

teejay17
March 25th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Anyone?

Slim Odds
March 25th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I know that you're not going to like it, but I gotta say it anyway................

Wait for it.........

Install OpenOffice

Sef
March 25th, 2010, 03:17 AM
By early disk I mean one that does not ship with service packs included.

Is this a stable version or a beta version?

teejay17
March 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I know that you're not going to like it, but I gotta say it anyway................

Wait for it.........

Install OpenOffice
Yeah, well...wait for it...
It's already installed. I would use it too, if it opened up charts and graphs and diagrams created in Office properly too.
For some reason, though, the translation of these graphical items are always off.

Slim Odds
March 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah, well...wait for it...
It's already installed. I would use it too, if it opened up charts and graphs and diagrams created in Office properly too.
For some reason, though, the translation of these graphical items are always off.

If only the Microsoft office suite fits your needs, you'd be far better off using their OS as well. They are not very good about supporting their office suite on other OS's. Just ask the Mac folk.

Mark Phelps
March 25th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry I don't have a crisp answer for you. Not a fine of Wine myself. Always found dual-booting to be a much better solution.

Anyway ...

Did a quick search in the Wine subforum for Office 2007 related posts and got back ... wait for it ... 255 threads!

Obviously, far too many to link here.

So, my suggestion is for you to go into the Wine subforum and do some searches there. There are known "tricks" to installing Office 2K7 and getting it to work. You may find some there that will help you with your SP question.

teejay17
March 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
To answer one question: it's an early retail version of Office 2007 without the later service packs included.
I'm just wondering if I download the service packs to my desktop and install them via wine, if they'll find their proper place in the files?

Mark Phelps
March 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
To answer one question: it's an early retail version of Office 2007 without the later service packs included.
I'm just wondering if I download the service packs to my desktop and install them via wine, if they'll find their proper place in the files?

I think if anyone in this forum knew for sure, they would have answered you already.

Instead of asking this over and over here, you would do better following my suggestions above of checking out the Wine subforum.