PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay?

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Not a hypothetical question.
Real answers only please.

How much (excluding delivery) would you pay for a package containing

1 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS LiveCD
A professionally published copy of the Ubuntu Manual
30 days of telephone "installation support

I'd appreciate any realistic values in GBP or USD (preferably GBP)
Thanks!

Chame_Wizard
March 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM
$25(with free stickers of the *Buntu's).:lolflag:

Dayofswords
March 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
$20-$30 (USD)

and yes, stickers!

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
My feeling so far is leaning towards
£19.99 including delivery
+ free stickers

Are Ubuntu still doing shipit? Are they charging for larger orders (I wouldn't mind paying) and will they ship faster for an additional cost?

madnessjack
March 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, around £20-40, but I'd rather it came pre-installed on a machine that I'd buy

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, around £20-40, but I'd rather it came pre-installed on a machine that I'd buy
Me too, but I'm not ready to start selling machines.
Maybe in the future.

fatality_uk
March 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Can you expand on "installation support"? What would you include for that? Someone might have an old laptop with a nasty BroadCom modem which FWCUTTER wont see straight away. That might eat up hours of installation time on that alone.

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Can you expand on "installation support"? What would you include for that? Someone might have an old laptop with a nasty BroadCom modem which FWCUTTER wont see straight away. That might eat up hours of installation time on that alone.

It's just going to be a UK phone number and I'll make it clear it's not professional support, just personal support.

derekeverett
March 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The amount I'd be willing to pay depends a bit on what my money would be supporting & what installation support means exactly.

I'd pay $20-30 just for the manual.

I'd pay up to $100 or so if I believed in the cause the money went to.

I'd pay $200 if it somehow resulted in getting the fricken input jack on my sound card to work in Ubuntu!

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
The amount I'd be willing to pay depends a bit on what my money would be supporting & what installation support means exactly.

I'd pay $20-30 just for the manual.

I'd pay up to $100 or so if I believed in the cause the money went to.

I'd pay $200 if it somehow resulted in getting the fricken input jack on my sound card to work in Ubuntu!

The installation support is just personal email and telephone, just to help new users with any questions.
I can't promise any particular level of service, as it's literally just me, a fairly knowledgeable Ubuntu users, trying to make a bit of spare cash by spreading Ubuntu.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks!
I'm using Debian Testing, but assuming that I still used Ubuntu. I probably wouldn't pay anything becuase:

- I can buy bulk blank CD-R's much cheaper than ordering a pressed one. Also, with a new version being released every 6 months the shiny pressed CD would be used as a coaster by the time the next version came out.

- The official manual probably isn't going to cover the specific problems I'm having. I bought the Official Ubuntu Book (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137021208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269423618&sr=8-1) (3rd edition) and didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. From what I remember it mostly went over basic stuff like partitioning your HD, how to navigate Gnome, using the various included applications, etc.

- Phone support is usually pretty crappy. The people either aren't extremely knowledgeable about the particular question your asking, are forced to read from a script and told not deviate, or I'm having a problem with a third party app or something that's not an official part of the core OS that they can't provide support on. Even companies that have reputations for having good support (like Apple) from my experience aren't that great. Forums are a much better source for support because only the people who are knowledgeable about the issue at hand will respond. Even if the guy on the other end of the phone support line has been hacking computers since the early 80's that doesn't mean he knows anything about the very specific problem your having. I'd be more likely to pay for support in the form of a forum or mailing list where only paid or qualified people were there to answer your questions and a reasonably quick solution response was guaranteed.

PC_load_letter
March 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
$20-$30

and yes, stickers!

What he said :D I don't think I'd need the manual or the 30-day support, but stickers I will. Specially ones I could use to hide the "Designed for Windows" on my lappy.

derekeverett
March 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
The installation support is just personal email and telephone, just to help new users with any questions.
I can't promise any particular level of service, as it's literally just me, a fairly knowledgeable Ubuntu users, trying to make a bit of spare cash by spreading Ubuntu.

I'd be interested in the manual. If you get that done then let me know.

Here's my thread about my sound card woes. Solve that for me and I'll toss you a few bucks no problem. Completely serious.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1427775

Lensman
March 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I would go for £30-40 if I got stickers and a warm fuzzy feeling of having done some good.

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'd be interested in the manual. If you get that done then let me know.

Here's my thread about my sound card woes. Solve that for me and I'll toss you a few bucks no problem. Completely serious.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1427775
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9019185#post9019185

Dayofswords
March 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM
you thinking of starting a home business?

if soo

i'd go with email and phone as backup for install support
(think of number of phone calls to one line)

they have a similar service (long term though- 1 year min)
http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=528
covers basic use aswell

odd they list these in the service when this is free

# Security upgrades
# Product upgrades

prshah
March 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM

US$25, with a cash-back coupon of US$15 if telephone support is not availed of.

3rdalbum
March 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM
$30 Australian (it's around $25 USD). Down here, the book alone would probably sell for around $40-50, but I think books are terribly overpriced.

msrie
March 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks!

I would pay for support if they agreed that they would help me install vdr, in my htpc. I tried all guides but it never gets installed.

Anyone here with alot of experience willing to help me do an install. i will gladly pay £20-30 quid for help to get it all running.

Would that months support include help to get vdr installed?

If there is anyone out there that is good at linux and would help me install vdr for that by paypal, let me know by email.

msrie89@gmail.com

I will pay when and if its all working fully, vdr is something i want for my htpc.

Anyone?

iRiUX
March 24th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks!

10 EUR and I want a nice DVD box. 10 EUR ~ 9 GBP ~ 14 USD

mkvnmtr
March 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I have spent four years getting to the point I do not need support and can find what I need with google. When I started some pro support would have been worth $50 american. It would need to be good support that also gives on line resources to help with specific problems. With a user that is not willing to read you could find that support takes up to 50 hours in a month.
I am afraid I see many such users in the forums.

blazemore
March 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
10 EUR and I want a nice DVD box. 10 EUR ~ 9 GBP ~ 14 USD
It's likely to be significantly more than that.
Go to a book store and look at the cost of a computing manual.

madjr
March 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
please throw in some screencasts and starter vids (with the little details) on a CD or a DVD with everything, it should boost up user friendliness by a lot

it will save you LOTS of HOURS of mail support, because to new people the interface is Alien and they're scare to break something (it may look simple, but honestly it took me about 2 weeks to get used to when i started and am a tech savvy person. For avg. joe it could take up to a month)

i made countless experiments with all sort of new people and family members

the details matter, you'll get lots of questions about small things, so users will need as many visual aids as possible

in life the first time you do something is the hardest.

i would pay $20 - $35, would make a good gift

also you could go around schools and computer shops, with a quality product like that you could get some nice support/install contracts

am also pretty sure you could get this stuff/combo up on amazon or similar online store. When your product is above average, people come.

so good luck, but most importantly, enjoy ;)

iRiUX
March 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
It's likely to be significantly more than that.
Go to a book store and look at the cost of a computing manual.

It won't ever cost anything since its one of the 'promises' of canonical to never ask money for it (for ANY version of their product). However, since this is a hypothetical question (unlike what the OP says). This product is worth 10 EUR.

OS X leopard sells for just under 25 euro, just so you know. Win7 sells for 80 euro. Not that I care for those products, I even have win7 but never use it. However, you have to be realistic here.

jrusso2
March 24th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I would pay nothing for it. I prefer the free versions unless Linux gets to be worth money.

undecim
March 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I think about $25 (16.78 GBP) or so. $35 (23.49 GBP) if I were more of a noob and was buying the support from a company that gets good reviews about their support.

sixthwheel
March 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I get all my tech support from right here.
Usually my problems are fixed under 10 minutes.

If the only way that I could get Ubuntu OS is by paying for it, then I would pay more, then I would pay for Windows.

juancarlospaco
March 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM

But you dont need 30 days to install Ubuntu, just few minutes... :D
or maybe a lot of seconds with Lucid

EarthMind
March 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
€15-€20 which should be around $20-$26 USD