PDA

View Full Version : What type of Android Phone do you own?

HappinessNow
March 24th, 2010, 07:47 AM
What type of Android Phone do you own? if you own one?

Google Nexus One (ATT 3G version)
Model number: NexusOne
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: 32.26.00.23U_4.04.00.03_2
Kernel version: 2.6.29-01117-g4bc62c2 android-build@apa26#1
Build number: EPE54B

(Please keep the thread on topic (Android Phones), if you don't own an Android phone there is no need to post that you don't or to make post of any other type of phone you may own. Thanks in advance for keeping this thread SPAM free) :p

Matthewthegreat
March 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I have a droid and I love it! I installed 2.1 on it and have wifi tethering on it.

mamamia88
March 25th, 2010, 05:43 AM
so how worth it is buying a smartphone on ebay if i'm not going to use data?

ikt
March 25th, 2010, 05:45 AM
htc hero

fairly average

amitabhishek
March 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM
The ubuntuforum member formally known as 今幸福

Wait! How did change your username? Can you do it?

AllRadioisDead
March 25th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have an iphone.
Oh wait..

the yawner
March 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I would very much like to have a HTC Legend. :)

mcduck
March 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
HTC Hero, running with the Android 2.1 ROM from HTC Legend.

Great phone. :) There sure is no going back to other phones after using Android, and HTC has done really good work with their custom UI.

Ozor Mox
March 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
After months of trying to find an Android phone I really want, I've finally pre-ordered the HTC Desire. I hope after all my umm-ing and ahh-ing, the wait will be worth it. Should be with me in a week and a bit according to Amazon.

gnomeuser
March 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM
HTC Hero, a disappointment if I ever saw one. Replaced it with a Nokia N900.

Android has a whole though has a lot of nice features.

hotweiss
March 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I had a HTC Magic and loved it, and now I have a Nexus One. If you haven't already installed cyanogen's mod, do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623496

RabbitWho
March 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM
What's an android phone?

Sorry if it's off topic, i saw someone had one on youtube and i saw another video with one running ubuntu but.. i've never seen one in real life and i've no idea what they are.

amitabhishek
March 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
What's an android phone?

A phone which runs on Android software is called Android phone. Android software basically runs on top of a Linux kernel. Rest is here (http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/android_overview.html)! This entire stuff is being driven by Google and the companies have already started suing each other ;).

NCLI
March 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Model number
Nexus One

Firmware version
2.1-update1

Baseband version
32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2

Kernel version
2.6.32.8-cyanogenmod
kmobs@ubuntu #9

Mod version
CyanogenMod-5.0.3.1-N1

HTC Hero, a disappointment if I ever saw one. Replaced it with a Nokia N900.

Android has a whole though has a lot of nice features.

Get a Nexus ;)

NCLI
March 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Doublepost, please delete.

wipeout140
March 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Model number
HTC Magic 32B (Vodafone Edition)

Firmware version

Baseband version
62.50S.20.17H_2.22.19.26I

Kernel version
2.6.29-00491-ge0ecb4d-dirty
dwang@dwang-laptop #5

Build Number
DRC92

Mod version
Dwang 1.17.1

chucky chuckaluck
March 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM
i have a droid. it's my first phone and i have had to take back all the rotten things i've ever said about phones over the years. i love the camera and i've started to really like opera mini 5 beta (some of the other browsers are so responsive to touch, you can end up on the other side of the internet just by looking at it wrong). smart tac toe is making me its female dog. it's pretty good as a phone too (saying "uh-huh" every five seconds has never been so pleasurable).

matthew1471
March 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
http://mobilebeep.co.uk/contract/htc/desire/index.html HTC Desire for me :)

When I get around to ordering it... I'm thinking I'll wait for a while for hte purchase price to come down.

PhoHammer
March 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
myTouch 3G on T-Mobile a.k.a. HTC Magic.

$uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.29.6-cyanogenmod

I love it after rooting it, but of course I would like
a Nexus One or HTC Supersonic (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/) [engadget]. I wouldn't leave Android for
the world, though, as I have developed/co-developed two apps
for the platform and I love it.

andras artois
March 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM
The HTC Desire looks really nice but I don't own an Android phone :(

hotweiss
March 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM
The HTC Desire looks really nice but I don't own an Android phone :(

I would order one, they are free in the UK with a contract...

andras artois
March 25th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I've got a phone on contract at the moment so maybe in a year and a bit's time i'll get one but by then something even better would have come out...

aysiu
March 25th, 2010, 11:59 PM
MyTouch 3G (otherwise known as HTC Magic) with the rooted Cyanogen rom.

I like it. It has its quirks (speaker in the back of the phone?), but it generally runs well.

P.S. The tech specs on my phone are nowhere near the Droid or Nexus One. I haven't found task managers or task killers to be much help in terms of speeding up performance. Nor have I found the use of swap or compcache to help much. What I have found helps are two things 1) the Overclock widget, which I've set to max clock at 528 MHz and then dip down to 128 MHz when sleeping, and 2) pressing Back to get to the home screen when I'm done with applications instead of pressing Home.

bwhite82
March 26th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Count me as another Moto Droid user. Love this thing! :D

Nickedynick
March 26th, 2010, 01:15 AM
No one else is a G1 user then?! Having said that, my contract's up soon - HTC Desire for me I think unless the Nexus pricing is competitive on Vodafone.

HappinessNow
March 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I had a HTC Magic and loved it, and now I have a Nexus One. If you haven't already installed cyanogen's mod, do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623496

The Cyanogen Mod looks very, very nice, especially the ability to save Android applications to my microSD card. When I have time I will have to do it. :p

I was checking out the Cyanogen mod on YouTube and it looks sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArAZTw8fZw

amitabhishek
March 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I haven't found task managers or task killers to be much help in terms of speeding up performance. Nor have I found the use of swap or compcache to help much.

Something that I have always suspected.

I have HTC Magic. I am using SuperD's 1.10.2 ROM. This ROM is a speed demon. Highly recommended!

Nickedynick
March 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM
The Cyanogen Mod looks very, very nice, especially the ability to save Android applications to my microSD card. When I have time I will have to do it. :p

Definitely give it a go if you're not worried about voiding your warranty! I've got almost 100 apps installed on my phone now (including stock ones), and the latest Cyanogen build still runs faster than the default Android system without anything added!

helliewm
March 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have a G1 and Motorola DEXT or Cliq as its known in the US. I love them both.

Helen

aysiu
March 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Something that I have always suspected.

I have HTC Magic. I am using SuperD's 1.10.2 ROM. This ROM is a speed demon. Highly recommended! I've tried it, but I prefer Cyanogen's rom.

wipeout140
March 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I personally like dwang rom (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567023) as along as you don't game much (as it uses the 10mb ram hack) its really fast compared to the stock 1.6 drc92 build and its very stable

PatrickMoore
March 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
No one else is a G1 user then?! Having said that, my contract's up soon - HTC Desire for me I think unless the Nexus pricing is competitive on Vodafone.

my girlfriend has a g1 and i was wholly envious until my pos died and i got a mytouch i love it but and on the fence about rooting it because i like to play a little too much and tend to change things more often than necessary

HappinessNow
March 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
my girlfriend has a g1 and i was wholly envious until my pos died and i got a mytouch i love it but and on the fence about rooting it because i like to play a little too much and tend to change things more often than necessary This is one of the main reasons I won't be rooting my Google Nexus One, I tend to play and break too much. ;-)

corney91
March 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm looking at getting the HTC Desire - I never thought I'd get a touchscreen phone but this looks really good, especially for the price and I'm sure I'll get used to typing on it :)

pjman
April 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I just got the N1 this week. I'm having a lot of fun with it :-)

Ian dewhurst
April 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at getting the HTC Desire - I never thought I'd get a touchscreen phone but this looks really good, especially for the price and I'm sure I'll get used to typing on it :)

Snap!
I am extremely tempted to get this phone, the only thing holding me back is the sky sports app but if I manage to persuade the Mrs into sky sports on sky this phone is mine!

HappinessNow
April 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I just got the N1 this week. I'm having a lot of fun with it :-)

Love my Nexus One! :P:P

radard
April 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I have an HTC Magic, with Orange as telco operator in Switzerland, and it seems they won't do much to grant us with an upgrade from Android 1.5...

But I must admit it: I still enjoy this phone a lot!

(Had a Sony Erics. P1i before and it was so not as good ;)

wipeout140
April 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have an HTC Magic, with Orange as telco operator in Switzerland, and it seems they won't do much to grant us with an upgrade from Android 1.5...

But I must admit it: I still enjoy this phone a lot!

(Had a Sony Erics. P1i before and it was so not as good ;)

If you don't mind messing with your phone, i would highly recommend rooting it and allowing you to put custom roms on the htc magic. i have htc magic from vodafone so the 32b model and its best thing i have done to the phone. an excellent website for android development is xda developers

Joeb454
April 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Nexus One for me :)

I still like my old iPhone though (I've sold it now, because I like the N1 that little bit more). No root for me either (same reasons as above, too much unecessary playing)

Danimoth
April 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Want a nexus one, but its 600 euros here :(

myusername
April 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Motorola Cliq XT with Motoblur. I like it, but so far there isn't any rooting and I'm stuck at 1.5. I should have bought the regular Cliq, I can't hardly type on the on screen keyboard

gnomeuser
April 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Want a nexus one, but its 600 euros here :(

It is likely that you can get the HTC Desire on a contract which is a slightly updated version of the N1 with HTCs Sense UI. They should have hit the European markets today (at least they land in DK this week).

RussianVodka
April 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM
To everyone with a Nexus One, how is the battery working for you?

I want to get one with T-Mobile, as with my university discount it would only cost me $67 a month (as opposed to $80 (right now I'm paying $60 monthly with my Nokia E63)), but from what I hear the phone has abysmal battery life.

Can any Nexus One users comment on this?

HappinessNow
April 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM
To everyone with a Nexus One, how is the battery working for you?

I want to get one with T-Mobile, as with my university discount it would only cost me $67 a month (as opposed to $80 (right now I'm paying $60 monthly with my Nokia E63)), but from what I hear the phone has abysmal battery life.

Can any Nexus One users comment on this?battery life for me is good, it last all day with constant usage; but with that said I ordered an extra battery and desk dock. :P

dmizer
April 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Just picked up the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 yesterday. This thing is unbelivably sweet: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperiax10

docus
April 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
HTC Desire - this thing is fast and smooth. I'm only just getting to grips with all it can do. What are some of the must-have android apps for me to try?!

Ozor Mox
April 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I also just bought an unlocked HTC Desire. This phone is just incredible. It does everything! My last two phones were my first smartphones, a Nokia 5800 and Nokia N85, both running Symbian S60. Android is on a completely different level, seriously.

helliewm
April 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Motorola Cliq XT with Motoblur. I like it, but so far there isn't any rooting and I'm stuck at 1.5. I should have bought the regular Cliq, I can't hardly type on the on screen keyboard

If you google there is rooting for the Cliq last time I looked. I have the UK version the Dext.

Helen

scottuss
April 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM
MyTouch 3G (otherwise known as HTC Magic) with the rooted Cyanogen rom.

I like it. It has its quirks (speaker in the back of the phone?), but it generally runs well.

P.S. The tech specs on my phone are nowhere near the Droid or Nexus One. I haven't found task managers or task killers to be much help in terms of speeding up performance. Nor have I found the use of swap or compcache to help much. What I have found helps are two things 1) the Overclock widget, which I've set to max clock at 528 MHz and then dip down to 128 MHz when sleeping, and 2) pressing Back to get to the home screen when I'm done with applications instead of pressing Home.

Do you have the "Home app in memory" setting checked in Spare Parts? I've found it makes my HTC Magic much nippier :)

aysiu
April 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Do you have the "Home app in memory" setting checked in Spare Parts? I've found it makes my HTC Magic much nippier :)
Yeah, I do actually.

Not acceptable to press the home button and just get a black screen for five seconds.

HappinessNow
April 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
HTC Desire - this thing is fast and smooth. I'm only just getting to grips with all it can do. What are some of the must-have android apps for me to try?!see this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1437571