PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop island

ElGatoFlojo
March 24th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm working on a project for a friend, and it involves sending a laptop to an island. Not a super small island, but not exactly the middle of a city. I've got an Asus EEE S101 with a SSD in it. The thinking is that a SSD drive will survive a little better in a little more 'rugged' conditions. Hopefully the laptop will as well.

My plan is to put a default install of Ubuntu on there, nothing really netbook centric. But my question is this.

How can I configure this laptop to be more useful given that probably 70% of the time it will be offline (network). Things like should I run a small version of squid on it and setup Firefox to pull all web pages locally? That way when the laptop is offline pages will still be accessible? I'm not so worried about email since I think most of that will only be done from a browser. But I'm pretty savvy with IMAP and it has a lot of good offline functions with Thunderbird so that will be my first choice on that route.

But what else? Maybe a good podcast puller? Picture a third world country, what would you imagine would be important/useful on a laptop like that? I don't think podcasts will be at the top of the list but I'm just tossing that one out there.

Any other questions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!