PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to my router if WPA2 is enabled...

Alexander_The_Good
March 24th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Hey guys. I am new to ubuntu as of yesterday. I've learned a lot so far, and even got my wireless card installed, and connected. My version is 9.10. My wireless card is an intel pro/wireless 2100 3a. It is installed on a Dell Inspiron 500m laptop, and works GREAT otherwise!

I used a wired connection direct to my router to download and configure everything for my wireless. After I configured everything, I connected ok and it was working great. I then did some of this and some of that, then rebooted, and thats when the problems began.

I could connect to 2 of my neighbors unsecured connections just fine. But when I tried to connect to my Belkin N-Wireless Router, secured with WPA2, it just sat there trying to connect, and every few minutes, it would ask me for my network key, again and again, and again..... Restarting the router had no effect. So I went into the router settings and disabled security, .... then ubuntu connects to my network without a hitch.

Why, only when I have WPA2 encryption turned on in my router, does ubuntu refuse to connect? According to network information, my driver is NDISwrapper. But for some reason, I coulda sworn that I had used a different driver initially ... could it be that NDISwrapper does not support WPA2?

I really want to be able to use the WPA2 encryption on my router, and would rather use my own wireless connection rather than my neighbor(s) connection(s) .... Im just confused as to why ubuntu acts as if I am putting in the wrong network key, when I am 100% sure it is correct. And why will ubuntu connect to my same network, same router, with encryption disabled ... and lastly, why did it connect just fine, with WPA2, when I initially set up the wireless, as compared to after a reboot, when all this crap started?

Thanks in advance

ADDED:

Now I feel I need to add this, as I thought it was just a glitch before, but now I know its a problem.... : If I am on any connection, My network, my neighbors network ,the internet works fine for a while, then all of the sudden, firefox will not connect to sites anymore .... even though at the top, my signal strength is full and I am still connected, I have no internet .... a simple disconnect/reconnect fixes it right up ... again, I did not have this problem either when I initally set up the wireless .... just wanted to add that