PDA

View Full Version : Servers

RedSingularity
March 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
For those of you who have servers running at home, what exactly do you use them for? I am just curious.

NightwishFan
March 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
I was going to use my old desktop as a squid proxy... I installed Karmic Desktop and donated it instead.

l.billon
March 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hi!
I have a tiny mini-itx server which is used as a NAS, storing all my desktop computers' documents, and making backups periodically.

wojox
March 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I run my site in my signature with mine.

themarker0
March 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Website hosting. Samba. Used to for DNS not anymore.

ve4cib
March 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Primarily I use it as a Samba/FTP server for backups and storing shared media (like music and movies). Once I get more RAM in it I'll probably throw a few more VMs on it and use it as a general-purpose testbed for tinkering where I know I won't break anything (well, other than a VM, but those are easy to replace).

NightwishFan
March 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM
With the new preempt kernel in Lucid, I plan on getting a spare machine to host some games on a vpn.

_h_
March 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM
No longer have a server going, but used to be running Delta Force Black Hawk Down servers and other various game servers.

mrtomservo
March 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Web hosting, game server, media streaming, torrents, email. :)

Sporkman
March 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8926637&postcount=389

Also: Added Gallery to serve photos & videos.

_h_
March 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8926637&postcount=389

Nice little setup you got there. ^^

Sporkman
March 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Nice little setup you got there. ^^

Thanks! 8)

Irihapeti
March 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I have apt-cacher-ng for updates and nfs for easy filesharing (no Windows boxes on this network).

I've also got a lan-only webserver for tinkering with html/css.

wgarider
March 24th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Mostly I use it to run VM's on but also store backups, do file sharing and music storage.......

RandomJoe
March 24th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I have several.

Nexus: Internet firewall/gateway for LAN, streams an audio feed to RadioReference, NFS server for audio/video storage, DNS/DHCP for LAN, X10 "Firecracker" to control a few lights. OpenRD Client embedded system running Debian.

Mini: Web server. Old PPC Mac Mini running Debian.

Ginny: Collects data from my weather station and generates web pages for it (wview), collects and processes data from the controller for my solar system, backs up everything on a schedule (even have a remote backup of the server at work here - they never had backups at all before!). Intel Mac Mini running Debian.

I used to run an old desktop for the firewall box, and a Dell server for everything else. Went from close to 200W load before to about 40W now.

3rdalbum
March 24th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I've got a Mini-ITX server that I use for Samba, torrents, and DAAP.

Yes, I know I'd use less power if I had a NAS (might be cheaper too, and certainly less hassle whenever the power goes out). But in the future I might want to do more with my server, or I might need to use it as a spare computer.

earthpigg
March 24th, 2010, 04:07 AM
stream multimedia to my netbook when im not home.

ditto for homework - it's a lifesaver when i get on campus and realize i forgot to print/grab my homework. open it, export to pdf, email to professor with apologies & assurances that i will have a printed version the next day if they wish. i save it on the server for that very reason -- the version on my desktop is the 'backup'.

"I forgot my homework" is much more credible when the professor has absolute electronic proof in his/her inbox that the assignment was completed on time. Thus far, I haven't run across a syllabis that specifically states that assignments must be turned in via hardcopy.

perlluver
March 24th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Really old server, I think it has 512MB of ram, a 733MHz processor, and 2 hard drives totaling 140GB. I store my music, and other important files on it. It runs Samba, Apache, NFS, SQL, and Python.

redrac
March 24th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Have an old p3 800 with 256mb ram running XP doing nothing but serving magicjack. Had it running on virtualbox but there was some kinda memory leak and would crash after a day or 2. Works quite well, useless for anything else. Might put some extra hard drives in it someday to use as file server

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I have one computer which is my file/web server. Right now it is largely a file server but I am needing to clean it out some.

I have one computer which is my firewall and content filter. It is set up right off the modem thus all internet activity passes through it. This way if my kids' friends were to bring an iPod or netbook or something over to the house and connect wirelessly it too would be subjected to my content filter. Also my kids can't bypass it just by using a LiveCD.

Once things settle down (in other words, 10.04 LTS is released and installed on the couple of computers I'm planning on updating) I am planning on making a web server and focus it on replacing some of the file-server duties from the other server. Things like using an online picture gallery system instead of the shared folder of pictures on the file server. Possibly setting up some shoutcast music player instead of relying on connecting over the network. IF I could tune into my web server via Rythmbox, that would be awesome!

If I can get this new web server running (yeah, it will have file serving capabilities, but the web interface should be the main means everybody in the family accesses it) then I'll take the old server and convert it into a backup server.