PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My computer clonked out during 10.04 install

RaptorJesus
March 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
So, this week I decided to install 10.04 beta 1 on my computer, but while all the packages were being installed (after they were downloaded), my computer went into a phase which I can only be described as "Not working." Nothing did. It just happens some times. I had to restart, and as I figured it would do, it screwed up my system.
Now, assuming I can get to the rescue shell, what commands should I do to repair my system?

Many thanks.

Slim Odds
March 23rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
So, this week I decided to install 10.04 beta 1 on my computer, but while all the packages were being installed (after they were downloaded), my computer went into a phase which I can only be described as "Not working." Nothing did. It just happens some times. I had to restart, and as I figured it would do, it screwed up my system.
Now, assuming I can get to the rescue shell, what commands should I do to repair my system?

Many thanks.

Your best bet is the LiveCD. I use it as a rescue device on occasion.

But you're not likely to fix the install. You'll be able to copy off some files, etc. Then you'll have to do a clean install.

BTW, I had a similar problem over the weekend. Had an update going and moved a metal panel next to the computer---- static shut the computer down :(

Very poor electrical design in my opinion.

I used the Live CD to copy the home folder and then did a clean install.

RaptorJesus
March 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'll do that then. Thanks!