PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 Install menu wont respond to enter key

08manny
March 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am trying ubuntu for the first time... I downloaded the iso for my system (desktop x86 32bit) and I get the computer to open the install menu. I pick english, and then it wont let me select an install option. Arrow keys work, function keys work, even pressing enter gets the cd to spin in the drive, but it wont progress to loading the install files...

Anyone know why not?

lemming465
March 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM
There a number of possible causes for this, unfortunately, and we don't yet have enough information to pick the right one.

However, the most common problem is a bad CD-R burn. There is an option on the initial boot menu to check the CD; what happens if you pick that? If it fails or hangs, throw out that first CD and burn another copy, maybe at a slower speed. Or try a different color of CD-R media; not all media works equally well in all drives.

A second, less likely possibility is bad memory: how old is the computer, and has it been successfully running other operating systems such as windows? Another of the boot options is "memtest86+"; try running that for at least 20 minutes and see if your computer passes.