PDA

View Full Version : Give me an idea for an university project (python/django)

cdiem
March 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have about 4-5 weeks to devote to a project in my university, and the chosen from me technologies are python+django. I want to develop something moderately difficult (.e. something I would be able to put in my CV afterwards), but I cannot think out what project to develop. Please, give me an idea about what project to develop. Thanks in advance.

era86
March 23rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have about 4-5 weeks to devote to a project in my university, and the chosen from me technologies are python+django. I want to develop something moderately difficult (.e. something I would be able to put in my CV afterwards), but I cannot think out what project to develop. Please, give me an idea about what project to develop. Thanks in advance.

I created a "Mapquest" or "GoogleMap" type web application using Django. It would find the shortest distance between two landmarks on the school campus.

I did the calculations in Python using Djikstra's alg and some other heuristic algs. It was alot of fun learning Django.

km0r3
March 23rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
What about a Vocabulary or Flash Card trainer?

hanniph
March 24th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Lol! I'm actually doing this for my university project, except that I'm using RoR :twisted:

Other guys have chosen either some model of e-shop or text based rpg games

km0r3
March 24th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Lol! I'm actually doing this for my university project, except that I'm using RoR :twisted:

:lol: I didn't know that ;)

The only one who does it right AFAIK is vocabsushi (http://vocabsushi.com), I think they've also used RoR, but it's damn great.

cdiem
March 24th, 2010, 07:59 AM

It sounds very interesting; moreover my native language is not English and this doubles my interest (cause I really doubt I would have thought of such an idea by myself).

Thanks also for the mentioning of "vocabsushi", it looks like a great place.

km0r3
March 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
It sounds very interesting; moreover my native language is not English and this doubles my interest (cause I really doubt I would have thought of such an idea by myself).

Thanks also for the mentioning of "vocabsushi", it looks like a great place.

The logic is quite easy. You have a Flash Card with a front and a back and the user defines the front and writes a description for the back.

Now, how you do it completely depends on your creativity, but if don't have any idea, yet, vocabsushi is definitely the place to steal some ideas.

You can write up stuff like quizzes, memory games, games against time with a lot of blinking and exploding JavaScript or keep it simple.

I've actually started a project like that, but I don't have time to finish it.

Actually also look at django-memorize (http://code.google.com/p/django-memorize/). It's a *very* basic flash card app written for Django, but you could use it as a project base and it actually uses a cool algorithm for training flash cards. It's worth checking out.

Hope you get inspired :)