PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sync desktop settings

Ahmedmb
March 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
i have Ubuntu 9.10 64 on my desktop and laptop
there is any way to sync desktop and application settings ?

THX:p

tom4everitt
March 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
All your settings are stored in your home folders. So syncing your home folders will also sync application settings. I guess you could just configure Dropbox to sync them.

A more "linux" way to it would be to enable ssh on both machines:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

and then sync them with the command 'rsync' which works much like cp, but it syncs instead of copying and works over a network/internet.

sudo rsync -a /home/user name-of-laptop.local:/home/user

should work if they're connected to the same network (router). If you're interested and need more detailed instructions, post back!

Ahmedmb
March 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
THX tom i know this way
i'm afraid overwrite this files make any application not work

Ahmedmb
March 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I do it ,
not work completely,for example AWN setting not apply.

Any new ideas
:p

imblack
July 3rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneConf

Art0
July 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
In the new 12.04 release, there is this feature in the Software Center, where you syncronize your files between computers (File > Sync Between Computers).
I'm not sure whether this feature is also available in 9.10 release. You might want to check that out.

kansasnoob
July 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
In the new 12.04 release, there is this feature in the Software Center, where you syncronize your files between computers (File > Sync Between Computers).
I'm not sure whether this feature is also available in 9.10 release. You might want to check that out.

Look at the date(s) ;)

You're replying to a very, very old thread. Mostly regarding unsupported versions of Ubuntu.