PDA

View Full Version : LIVE CD/USB combination

dyingsun
March 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi ppl,

I've been poking around trying to figure out how to customise a live CD/DVD and configure it to do all its write operations on a USB stick. I've found sites that walk you through the customisation process, but I can't find anything about how to configure them to suit my needs.

Basically I need a lightweight live CD (or DVD, but CD would be preferable). It needs to have the packages I require, mostly programming tools, Apache/MySQL/PHP, Netbeans, Kate, openOffice, at least 2 browsers, an email client, a chat client such as Pidgin, ncftp, GiMP and other useful things. However, I need /home/damien to be on a USB stick, along with any config files for the applications, and also the webroot.

Things that would be nice, but not essential, are music players with all codecs, a newsreader, softphone client, etc.

Doesn't have to be Ubuntu, though I would prefer it.

I gather its possible to do all this on a USB stick alone, but most of the machines i encounter don't support USB booting. It would save me a lot of time and hassle if I had a portable development environment, running from a CD and writing to a USB stick. Is this actually possible? Can somebody point me to some info that would help? I have tried googling but its not very effective when you're not sure exactly what you're searching for!

Thanks in advance
Damien

dyingsun
April 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Bump.
Nobody? :(

garvinrick4
April 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hi ppl,

I've been poking around trying to figure out how to customise a live CD/DVD and configure it to do all its write operations on a USB stick. I've found sites that walk you through the customisation process, but I can't find anything about how to configure them to suit my needs.

Basically I need a lightweight live CD (or DVD, but CD would be preferable). It needs to have the packages I require, mostly programming tools, Apache/MySQL/PHP, Netbeans, Kate, openOffice, at least 2 browsers, an email client, a chat client such as Pidgin, ncftp, GiMP and other useful things. However, I need /home/damien to be on a USB stick, along with any config files for the applications, and also the webroot.

Things that would be nice, but not essential, are music players with all codecs, a newsreader, softphone client, etc.

I gather its possible to do all this on a USB stick alone, but most of the machines i encounter don't support USB booting. It would save me a lot of time and hassle if I had a portable development environment, running from a CD and writing to a USB stick. Is this actually possible? Can somebody point me to some info that would help? I have tried googling but its not very effective when you're not sure exactly what you're searching for!

Thanks in advance
Damien
The CD or DVD version of a install has no persistence (cannot hold changes) the USB
version that uses FAT32 format will hold up to 4 gig of persistence in some programs.
You can also use a USB say 16 gig and format it like a disk drive in ext3 or ext4 and make a normal Linux install with full 16 gig persistence.
But it is not possible in CD or DVD. There just is not any programs available to my knowledge to perform this.

NightwishFan
April 8th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Here is what I would do. Download a supergrub disk iso, and burn to a CD/DVD. Then use that to boot Ubuntu USB on a machine that does not support USB booting. Ubuntu has a tool pre-installed to install it on a USB.
http://prdownload.berlios.de/supergrub/super_grub_disk_0.9799.iso

If that does not work, go with puppy linux.
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started. htm

dyingsun
April 10th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Thats a couple of good ideas, thanks very much guys.

I never even thought of a grub disc. I have a 100gb external sitting here doing nothing atm anyway :)

Cheers!