PDA

View Full Version : Who Shift The Land

Khakilang
March 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
Looking at the world now keep me wondering about one particular continent, America. How does the America continent shifted to the other part of the earth? How does a huge land mass move? Where does it break off from? Western Europe and Africa or East Asia like China and Australia?

Looking at some indegenious people like the South American Indian and their culture, they are similar to the indegenenious people of Borneo like the blow pipe. The Red India from North America are more like the Mongolians. They are nomadic and leave in a tent, they smoke pipe, ride on horses but they don't hunt like the Red Indians.

If you cut out the America continent like a jigsaw puzzle. Where does it fit in?

Maybe there is some of you who are Geography researcher or some expertise in this field can answer. Anybody who have any idea, please chip in as well.

cladelpino
March 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
a) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwanaland

b) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Models_of_migration_to_the_New_World

and, main:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

tjwoosta
March 23rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
I know this conflicts with the pangea theory, which is the accepted explanation by mainstream science, but its all just theory anyway and it might give you some idea of how the americas could have fit together with europe and africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ

Chronon
March 23rd, 2010, 04:52 AM
I wonder why that guy tries to claim there are no subduction zones when they explain many geological features so successfully.

eksasol
March 23rd, 2010, 05:39 AM
I'm not a science major, but paleontology is really one of my favorite subject to read about, its really fascinating. From what I understand, without the volcanic activities and plates tectonic we might not even have an atmosphere in the first place and evolution would have a hard time advancing. Of course, a guy proposed this concept of shifting continents and no one listened to him until radiometric dating comes around.

JDShu
March 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Looking at some indegenious people like the South American Indian and their culture, they are similar to the indegenenious people of Borneo like the blow pipe. The Red India from North America are more like the Mongolians. They are nomadic and leave in a tent, they smoke pipe, ride on horses but they don't hunt like the Red Indians.

My understanding is that Native Americans did not have horses to use as mounts until the Europeans brought them to the Americas.

crlang13
March 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
My understanding is that Native Americans did not have horses to use as mounts until the Europeans brought them to the Americas.

My understanding as well. I believe the Europeans brought the bow and arrow as well (but I may be wrong on this). Where as the Native Americans were the first to bring us the lovely beverage know as coffee :p.

To the OP, check out a book called "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson. It starts off at the Big Bang and goes forward from there explaining how the world ended up how it is geologically. Bryson has no training in science, but tons of interest. It's written for people like him - no training, but interest. Great book.

Paqman
March 23rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
How does the America continent shifted to the other part of the earth?

The continents sit on tectonic plates, which in turn float on the Earth's mantle of liquid rock. The traditional explanation for the movement of the plates is convection currents within the hot mantle, although there is some discussion about whether this is the primary mechanism.

robertneville777
March 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Easy, God did.

the yawner
March 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
They Americas is just a fork from the main.

cascade9
March 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM

100% correct. Horses did exists in prehistoric times in north america, but they died out.

The Red India from North America are more like the Mongolians. They are nomadic and leave in a tent, they smoke pipe, ride on horses but they don't hunt like the Red Indians.

The tribes of the great plains (who you are thinking of when you say this) didnt really exists before the arrival of the horse. They are many different styles that human housing in north america-

http://www.native-languages.org/houses.htm

Looking at some indegenious people like the South American Indian and their culture, they are similar to the indegenenious people of Borneo like the blow pipe.

Its possible that the blowpipe was brought by the original peoples who moved into the americas. Even if they were not brought over, blowpipes are good in bother areas (teh south american rainforest is a very similar enviroment to the rainforest of Borneo).

Dont forget that there were very different housing/cultures in south america as well- there are actually huge pryamids from the west coast, the stone housing of the inca (and previous peoples) from the mountains, etc.

My understanding as well. I believe the Europeans brought the bow and arrow as well (but I may be wrong on this). Where as the Native Americans were the first to bring us the lovely beverage know as coffee :p.

Bows existed in north america before the arrival of europeans. Invented arox 500 AD (unless you want theorise that they were brought to north ameica by somebody else...which is possible but not accepted by the archaeologists).

Coffee? Errr....thats from the middle east/north africa (mostly likely ethopia)

amrypma
March 23rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Does anybody mind my shooting the elephant in the room?
The earth "growing"? Where does all that new rock come from?

jayze
March 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
I love this stuff!.......fascinating....

You'll need a quick geography brush up....then get to grips with geology...breeze through anthropology....study genetics briefly....and then home in on genetic anthropology ( language development is a very helpful indicator here by the way).
Finally you'll need to go to Church (doesnt matter which one) and maybe put a pic of Gauguin's " who are we?where did we come from?where are we going?" over your fireplace:popcorn:

Endomancer
March 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM

I suppose when you consider how often meteorites hit the planet then a growing earth theory becomes easy to accept.

A few points found on http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/Science/Astronomy/Ast_Meteors.htm

amount of meteors hitting earth:

200 tons per day
100 billion cosmic dust sized particles enter the atmosphere each day.
25 million grain of sand size enter
annually, 24,000 small pea size to fist sized meteors that reach the earths surface totals about 10 tonnes of which 3.33 tonnes land on land. This gives a bombardment rate of 40 meteorites per square km of land surface per year over a period of a million years. That's a lot of space junk just lying around waiting to be picked up - check your roof guttering with a magnet.
500 kg or less of meteors are found each year

jayze
March 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
yes...I forgot astrology!....:popcorn:

Endomancer
March 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
yep after reading that page I'm now considering reinforcing my umbrella

tica vun
March 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
I suppose when you consider how often meteorites hit the planet then a growing earth theory becomes easy to accept.

A few points found on http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/Science/Astronomy/Ast_Meteors.htm

amount of meteors hitting earth:

200 tons per day
100 billion cosmic dust sized particles enter the atmosphere each day.
25 million grain of sand size enter
annually, 24,000 small pea size to fist sized meteors that reach the earths surface totals about 10 tonnes of which 3.33 tonnes land on land. This gives a bombardment rate of 40 meteorites per square km of land surface per year over a period of a million years. That's a lot of space junk just lying around waiting to be picked up - check your roof guttering with a magnet.
500 kg or less of meteors are found each year

Yes, 200 tons per day is the upper estimate. But remember the Earth's mass is 5.97*10^24 kg (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=earth+mass) (that is, 5970000000000000000000 tons) - which means at 200 tons per day, even in a million years, the meteors still add less than one billionth part (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28200+tons%2Fearth%27s+mass%29+*+365000000) of the total mass. This adds up to around .01 PERCENT of earth's mass if you go back 5 billion years, which is the approximate age of the earth. Of course, this is innacurate, because in the early solar system, meteor and asteroid impacts were much more common, but they practically stopped once the major gas giants were formed.

LarsKongo
March 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
I saw a BBC or National Geographic documentary (can't remember which channel) about our planet's geology and how landmasses are moving. Iceland is being ripped in 2 (2 cm each year) because it's on a volcanic hotzone where the American and European tectonic plates meet. (The mid-atlantic rift.)

Not only that, many islands (Hawaii for example) east of the mariana trench (deepest place in all of the oceans) are being swallowed by this trench. So maybe in a few million years North America will be much closer to Asia or completely swallowed by the trench. :P I'm rather fascinated by our planet's geology. ;)

Also, puzzling North America into Europe and Africa seems to be quite possible. Although erosion and the amount of water makes it harder.

Paqman
March 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM

Who says the Earth is growing?

tica vun
March 23rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Who says the Earth is growing?

A crazy conspiracy theorist with a youtube video and a website from 1996. :D

Paqman
March 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
A crazy conspiracy theorist with a youtube video and a website from 1996. :D

Ah random nutters, how would we have ever found you if it weren't for the internet?

tjwoosta
March 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
No need for name calling, its only a theory, same as the pangea theory. And that guy your referring to ins't the only one who believes it. Hes not even the one who came up with it. Do some research on the expanding earth theory yourself and youll see that its not really all that far fetched. There is actually a lot of evidence for both theories, and neither one has been conclusively proven.

There was a time when some random nutter said the earth was not the center of the universe. People get so locked into an existing theory or prejudice that it becomes difficult to even consider anything else.

With that said I personally don't believe the expanding earth theory it true either.

Paqman
March 23rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
With that said I personally don't believe the expanding earth theory it true either.

Good, we're in agreement then ;)

CptPicard
March 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
No need for name calling, its only a theory, same as the pangea theory.... There is actually a lot of evidence for both theories, and neither one has been conclusively proven.

This is the same kind of "just a theory" abuse of the concept that you see in the Intelligent Design discussion. There are crazy, unsubstantiated theories and then there are really good theories that are backed up by a lot. Strictly speaking, nothing ever is conclusively proven in science, but it does not mean you must give equal weight to two different theories. Just because we can't go back in time to actually see Pangaea, our geological evidence is strong enough for plate tectonics that mentioning some crackpot growing Earth theory in the same sentence is not justified, no matter how much they're both "theories".

JDShu
March 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Relax everyone, one day we'll wake up and finally realize that the world is indeed flat and accelerating upwards.

pricetech
March 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Actually the earth is flat, all straight lines are in fact curves and everything that we accept is inherently wrong.

and this post never really got posted.

koleoptero
March 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
So in 2012 the earth will either explode or collapse upon itself?

tjwoosta
March 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
No, in 2012 you wake up and realize this was all a dream. The earth doesnt exist in the first place ;)

_h_
March 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Easy, God did.

Religious discussions aren't allowed here, just so you know. :P

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Obelix did it

Fenris_rising
March 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I thought Earth was a disk resting on the backs of four elephants who in turn stand on the shell of a giant turtle..........Or am I reading the wrong books =D

Love geology etc etc. Nature is quite the most amazing thing including the rest of the universe of course!!

regards

Fenris

jayze
March 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
KooL!:popcorn:

TheNessus
March 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM

No, coffee is from the middle east and Africa. COCO is from the Americas, though.

jayze
March 23rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Korrect! go to top of the class!......and coca leaves from the americas mixed with cola (from african cola nuts) gives us that wonderful stimulant....COCA COLA.......:popcorn:

tjwoosta
March 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
No, coffee is from the middle east and Africa. COCO is from the Americas, though.

Korrect! go to top of the class!......and coca leaves from the americas mixed with cola (from african cola nuts) gives us that wonderful stimulant....COCA COLA.......:popcorn:

I think your confusing coca with cocoa, HUGE difference. Coca leaves produce cocaine, which was an ingredient in coca cola at one point but AFAIK it is no longer. Cocoa beans on the other hand make chocolate. Although I do think they are both from the americas.

jayze
March 24th, 2010, 12:01 AM
No!....no confusion(apart from the usual that comes with senility)....but hands up .... should have used the past tense "gave" instead of "gives".... And yes its true...instead of the original healthy narcotics you now get lots of lovely chemicals (tho I'm told they still use cola nuts in certain brands) So now whos gonna tell me I'm confusin caffeine and chemicals.?. And heres another one for you then...One can of fizzy can do as much damage to the liver as alcohol in the same proportion

Chronon
March 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
One can of fizzy can do as much damage to the liver as alcohol in the same proportion

Huh? Where do you get this from? Alcohol produces toxic byproducts when metabolized (e.g. acetaldehyde). Which toxic byproducts are produced when metabolizing ingredients in soda?

TheNessus
March 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Huh? Where do you get this from? Alcohol produces toxic byproducts when metabolized (e.g. acetaldehyde). Which toxic byproducts are produced when metabolizing ingredients in soda?

no toxin is produced when digesting a soda. The soda itself is a toxin...

_h_
March 24th, 2010, 12:55 AM
The soda itself is a toxin...

Care to explain why you think so?

JDShu
March 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I thought Earth was a disk resting on the backs of four elephants who in turn stand on the shell of a giant turtle..........Or am I reading the wrong books =D

You are most certainly reading the right books.

TheNessus
March 24th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Care to explain why you think so?

oh... just a lot of healthy and useful things like corn syrup, cancerous preservative materials, pesticides and toxic liquids... and if you're into diet sodas, these have the very healthy stuff like Aspartame, yum yum yum. Get your coke today!

(And this applies mostly to all sodas)

audiomick
March 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM
You are most certainly reading the right books.
I second that. I have nearly all of them... ;)

Chronon
March 24th, 2010, 02:23 AM
oh... just a lot of healthy and useful things like corn syrup, cancerous preservative materials, pesticides and toxic liquids... and if you're into diet sodas, these have the very healthy stuff like Aspartame, yum yum yum. Get your coke today!

(And this applies mostly to all sodas)

A fizzy only needs to have carbonation to make it so. The carbon dioxide comes out of solution in your stomach, so this shouldn't be a primary concern. Many sodas don't contain any of the things you listed. Can you point me to the clinical evidence for people developing cirrhosis of the liver from drinking carbonated, non-alcoholic drinks? I have never seen evidence for this.

crlang13
March 24th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Bows existed in north america before the arrival of europeans. Invented arox 500 AD (unless you want theorise that they were brought to north ameica by somebody else...which is possible but not accepted by the archaeologists).

Coffee? Errr....thats from the middle east/north africa (mostly likely ethopia)

Really? I was wrong then. Where did I read that then? OOPS! :redface:

CarpKing
March 24th, 2010, 03:38 AM
The Expanding Earth video reminds me of the Time Cube site.

Plate tectonics is singularity evil!

amrypma
March 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM
The Expanding Earth video reminds me of the Time Cube site.

Plate tectonics is singularity evil!

Yes!

STOP Plate tectonics! NOW!

I like elephants.

pricetech
April 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Is this a new movement ?? "Stop Plate Tectonics" ??

Cool !!