PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from a beta

keljaden
March 23rd, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hey I just reformatted my machine, I wanna try out the LTS beta of 10.04. When the full release comes out will i need to dl the final version and format again, or can I just update? Just to make it clear. I want to know if the final version of 10.04 will be an update, or do I have to download and install again.

When I install, can I use Unetbootin to make a live USB of the 10.04 install disk and install it that why. I play around with linux a lot and I am starting to run out of CD-R's

Also how do I change what OS is first in the grub bootloader?

Sef
March 23rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
Hey I just reformatted my machine, I wanna try out the LTS beta of 10.04. When the full release comes out will i need to dl the final version and format again, or can I just update? Just to make it clear. I want to know if the final version of 10.04 will be an update, or do I have to download and install again.

The final version will be an update. As long as you keep your system updated, then you will have the final version.

Slim Odds
March 23rd, 2010, 01:57 AM
The final version will be an update. As long as you keep your system updated, then you will have the final version.

Exactly! Just like every other release.

C.S.Cameron
March 23rd, 2010, 02:00 AM
UNibootin should work fine if you have a Linux or Windows machine to work from. Usb-creator from the 10.04 live CD should also work if you don't have an O/S yet.
(I recall som problems with u-c on some betas from earlier versions.
I'm not sure about grub2 but on previous versions the O/S that was mentioned first was first on the boot list and the default boot.

For EYAWTK about grub2:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202

keljaden
March 23rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks so much, I am confused about the grub thing though. I want to set Windows as my primary boot. I remember other distro's having that option during install, but with ubuntu it always just stick itself and like 5 other recovery options all above windows. And until I get MW2 to run in Ubuntu I am stuck chillin in windows for now =(.

bcschmerker
March 23rd, 2010, 02:12 AM
The final version will be an update. As long as you keep your system updated, then you will have the final version.Thanks for the clarification. Expensive truck repairs delayed my SATA HDD acquisition and with it my planned install of 10.03b1pre Lucid, but I'm still planning to be ready with quad SATA's (for System, User, Home/VHome and Var/Temp) for 10.04 (Release to Market or Beta 2, depending on how quickly 10.03b1-pre makes its testing milestones).