PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update-notifier doesn't notify me anymore

zooounds
March 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
It never notifies me about any updates.

In my startup following line is present:

update-notifier --startup-delay=60

In my repository settings I have chacked that it should llok for updates daily.

What can be wrong?

quixote
March 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I don't know why it does that, but I've had the same problem. My workaround was just to hit the "check" button to manually update the list whenever I remembered. Not ideal, but at least you'll get the updates.

strawberry
May 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Let me join the company :(
The update notifier hasn't been working since I installed 10.04 RC.
I don't know what to check/correct in the system.
I look for the security updates and the new version of packages manually.

SgtPepperKSU
May 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Have you guys read the release notes (or the release notes of any release since 9.04)?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004#Change%20in%20notifications%20of%20available% 20updates

strawberry
May 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the info.
I haven't read the referred release notes at all. It's my fault.
It was useful feature for me, so if I stay at ubuntu, I will apply the command the RN mentioned.
By the way, there were not any security update since 10.04 RC was issued? Other hand, the two guys before me haven't received any security updates at all?

quixote
May 4th, 2010, 05:01 AM
SgtPepper: I think you're talking about something else. I'm certainly not complaining about the lack of the orange alert button thingy. Good riddance. I like the new way of notifications about updates much better. What I, and I think the OP?, are talking about is that there is no notifications about updates at all. If I run Update-Manager, it says my system is up to date no matter how long it's been. I have to manually hit the "check" button.

z06steve
May 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I have the same behavior. Installed on two computers, one Friday night, and the other yesterday and have not received any updates on either.

mihai.ile
May 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Just use:

$ gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

to have the old behavior (with the updates icon in the tray), I am using it this way.

montysan
June 10th, 2010, 01:41 AM
SgtPepper: I think you're talking about something else. I'm certainly not complaining about the lack of the orange alert button thingy. Good riddance. I like the new way of notifications about updates much better. What I, and I think the OP?, are talking about is that there is no notifications about updates at all. If I run Update-Manager, it says my system is up to date no matter how long it's been. I have to manually hit the "check" button.

I've had the same problem. Here's my post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1504892).

No solution yet, but there was some useful info about 'apt-get update', which if you run kick-starts the update manager. Maybe this isn't being called at start-up, or maybe update-notifier is supposed to do this but it isn't?