PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Uninstalling Gnome-Keyring Killed Vital Packages

stwstl5926
March 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
I got my room-mate to switch to Ubuntu a while back, and he loves it, but he hated the Keyring. So, logically, he tried uninstalling the Keyring package (gnome-keyring). Of course, this also uninstalled some other vital packages. According to my Ubuntu box, this is what would be uninstalled from my system if I did what he did (forgive me if there are unrelated packages in there):

apturl
checkbox-gtk
gdebi
gksu
gnome-codec-install
network-manager-gnome
software-properties-gtk
ubufox
update-manager
update-notifier

As you may have noticed, he killed his network manager, which means he now has no internet to reinstall the missing packages. He also killed gdebi, which means I can't just install the network manager via a stand-alone .deb package.

Ideas?

2hot6ft2
March 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not even sure you can do this without the Gnome-Keyring but here goes.

If you have a wired connection you could setup a basic connection like this
Open a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and run
I see gksu was removed so have to try sudo or maybe without the sudo part at all

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
Put this in it, the first part should already be there so just add the second part which is in bold

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Save and close it.
Reboot

While you wont have a network manager applet to show you it's connected it should connect.
Try going somewhere or running
sudo apt-get update
Good luck

Once you have network manager and the network manager applet back edit the file again and remove those 2 lines but be sure NOT to remove the first 2 lines.

stwstl5926
March 22nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
That did the trick. Thanks!