PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from amd XP to a intel i5. any problems?

outleradam
March 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm upgrading from an AMD XP 2300 chip on an ECS motherboard to a intel i5 chip on a ASUS motherboard. I was wondering if I will encounter any problems or if the system will work right away without reinstallation. Any ideas?

lemming465
March 25th, 2010, 05:09 AM
You don't say whether the video is embedded on the motherboard, or a separate plug-in card. Changing the video can be exciting. Also, you probably will have a different disk controller chipset, which can also be an adventure. That said, it is likely to actually work. If it fails, your first try at fixing it is to boot a live CD, set up a chroot environment, run updates, and rebuild your initial ram-disk. Write back for directions on that if you need them.

outleradam
March 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
There was a kernel panic followed by an operator panic followed by random copying and a fresh install of Ubuntu.

I upgraded and it did not work, so I copied everything over to my NAS and installed. It was a old 32 bit Athalon processor initially and I changed to a 64 4 core intel. A fresh install was in order I guess.

I guess I could have used that information on Tuesday.