PDA

View Full Version : Few question about Ubuntu? I use a Mac for now.

kinoko6.5
March 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hi this is my first post. I'm a Mac user, but after seeing Ubuntu online and a older OS in person. I'm thinking about giving up my Mac for Ubuntu system. Ubuntu offers everything I need from the looks of it? I'm not a computer guy, so sorry if the question sound stupid.

1 Can I run windows on Ubuntu like with Apple Boot Camp? I don't want to use things like Virtual Box. I had problems applying for jobs when using XP on Virtual Box. Didn't recognize the IE, so I had to use my Vista netbook worked OK with the Vista IE.

2 I was looking on the Ubuntu web page and they talk about free security update for 18 months. Is this a Anti virus? How much will it cost to maintain after that time is up?

3 I'm thinking about getting iPod touch will this work with Ubuntu when I upgrade?

Thank you.

Simian Man
March 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
1 Can I run windows on Ubuntu like with Apple Boot Camp? I don't want to use things like Virtual Box. I had problems applying for jobs when using XP on Virtual Box. Didn't recognize the IE, so I had to use my Vista netbook worked OK with the Vista IE.
Yes. The term to search for is "dual boot" and you aren't running one OS "on" the other. They are sharing your computer.

2 I was looking on the Ubuntu web page and they talk about free security update for 18 months. Is this a Anti virus? How much will it cost to maintain after that time is up?
The security updates don't ever start costing money, they just stop bothering putting them out there for the older systems. You can always upgrade to a newer version and continue with free updates.

And Linux does not need anti-virus as extremely few viruses target Linux.

3 I'm thinking about getting iPod touch will this work with Ubuntu when I upgrade?

I don't know. Until recently the touches were a total no-go with Linux, but I've heard that there is some support now - but I don't have one so I don't know for sure. My ipod nano works beautifully.

I would try Linux first before you commit to ditching Macs. Linux works great for my needs, but certain things do need a bit of finagling sometimes and you really can't always expect things to "Just Work".

Paqman
March 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM

Nothing, Ubuntu is always free. To continue to receive free security updates after that time you'll be required to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu. Which is also free.

Antivirus suites aren't normally installed on Ubuntu systems. Our built in security (eg:AppArmor, permissions, package managers) keeps us pretty safe.

Ipod Touches work out-of-the-box with the new version of Ubuntu released this April, but nothing is stopping Apple releasing a firmware upgrade that will deliberately break compatibility. So if you really want a touch either keep a Windows or OS X system with Itunes on it, or don't upgrade your Touch firmware.

Merk42
March 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
You may be able to use Boot Camp, though Ubuntu comes with it's own boot manager (GRUB)

No, you need antivirus on Ubuntu as much as you need it on Mac.
There is no cost. After the 18 months a newer version will be out. They come out every 6 months, usually one in April and one in October. You can then freely upgrade to it.

As of 10.04 (the version coming out in 2010 in the 4th month, April) will have support for iPhones and iPod touches.

samalex
March 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi.

Welcome to Linux :) Though I moved from Linux to OSX around 2005, I moved back to Linux exclusively last year after both my desktop (PowerMac G4) and laptop (iBook) were pretty much labeled as legacy by Apple since neither had an Intel processor. I was quite happy with OSX and still miss iLife, but honestly I haven't looked back since ordering my Linux laptop from System76 about 8 months ago.

Though a few others have answered your questions, here's my spin since I was in your same situation last year unsure whether I wanted to stick with Apple or move back to Linux full time.

Firstly you can install Windows and Linux concurrently on the same system, and using GRUB as your boot loader you can select which one you want on start-up. I will say that you may want to try VirtualBox and Windows XP or 7 on Ubuntu because I've been running Win XP along with apps like Visual Studio 2008, SQL Server 2008, and TONS of other apps with zero problem. I don't know if there may be some burps in the version if VBox you ran on OSX, but I've found nothing Win XP couldn't handle in VBox... and I use the heck out of it. But your options are the same as with OSX with Windows running virtually or natively.

Security updates are more like software patches for the apps you have installed. For the versions labeled LTS (Long Term Support) those come with 3 years of software updates for bug, security, etc fixes. The next version of Ubuntu to be released next month, 10.04 Lucid Lynx will have LTS which is why many are saying it should be pretty stable. The non-LTS versions generally have about 18 months though, so either way you're covered for a while.

As for viruses, that's a hot debate in some circles, but honestly in my years of using Linux I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a virus. There are virus scanners for Linux, but they're more for the paranoid or for those who run Wine or other Windows emulators. If you're running Windows whether through Virtual Box or natively I would recommend getting AVG or another virus scanner for it, but under Linux you don't have much to worry about.

And for the iPod touch, only time will tell if that's supported. I don't have one, so I can't speak much in that regard.

Take care --

Sam

kinoko6.5
March 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Nice thank you all. I'm going to try out the 9.10 on the Mac. I think my friend had 8. something? and I liked that.

I need a laptop for my next computer, and really don't want to spend few grand on one. Looks like I can get a one for little over a grand from System 76?

Brv
March 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
1 = Yes Apple Boot Camp

BTW, welcome to Ubuntu :)

~Brv

EDIT: I running Kubuntu with my other old iMac. I deleted Mac OSX from the hard drive and have been a full time Kubuntu user. I love it

gletob
March 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think that you believe you have to delete OS X to install Ubuntu. As long as you have enough hard drive space you can have all three, at the same time.

_h_
March 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
All stuff answered, I'll just say a quick hello and welcome to Ubuntu. :popcorn:

samalex
March 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Nice thank you all. I'm going to try out the 9.10 on the Mac. I think my friend had 8. something? and I liked that.

I need a laptop for my next computer, and really don't want to spend few grand on one. Looks like I can get a one for little over a grand from System 76?

Yuppers on going through System76 :) My PanP5 laptop was around $1200, but that's with several upgrades. The newer PanP7 laptops are NICE though. Some people will say System76 is higher then others, but honestly I did some major price comparisons before moving to System76, and they are pretty much on track with other vendors, even lower in most cases. I suggest checking out the System76 forum - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341 - if you have any questions or want to check out the community. Thomas Aaron who works at System76 is on their daily answering questions, and everyone else is great. They have awesome hardware and you can't beat their support.

Take care --

Sam

pelle.k
March 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM

As a mac owner, i advice you to wait one month until 10.04 (lucid) is released. It's an LTS release, meaning in will be supported much longer than the usual ubuntu releases (like 9.10 etc).
Ubuntu 9.10 (jaunty) currently has some issues with many macs, such as sound not working (without a small modification), and rebooting doesn't work properly (on my mac mini anyway), and it's not going to work with an iphone/ipod touch. So, unless you're prepared to work around those issues, wait until ubuntu 10.04 is released.

If you do go ahead and install either version (on your *mac*), here's some tips:
Only use 1 partition (no separate /home partition, only the root partition) for ubuntu, because the default partition table on the mac doesn't allow for more than 4 primary bootable partitions. (1. EFI, 2. OS X, 3. Ubuntu, 4. Windows).
On the last step (installing the "bootloader" - "grub") you should preferably install "grub" to the "root volume" (meaning the actual partition you are installing ubuntu to), not to the MBR. You can do that by "going advanced" and selecting that partition manually.
The windows partition should always be the last one on the disk (it doesn't boot unless it is), and if you already have windows installed, it'll probably complain if you squeeze ubuntu in before it (and thus needing a reinstall).
Using "jaunty", the 64 bit install/desktop ubuntu cd's, doesn't work with my mac mini (i suspect that could also be the case with "lucid", and other mac models as well), so i would go for the 32 bit one.
One last thing. You're gonna need to connect it to the internet via a network cable, to install the broadcom wireless drivers (via the "hardware drivers" utility) before you can use the wireless network.

So, to sum it up, installing ubuntu on a mac (a newer one, at least) isn't as straight forward as on most "pc's", unfortunately.

_h_
March 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 (jaunty)

9.10 is Karmic, just thought I'd correct it. :P

KiwiNZ
March 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I would suggest down loading a trial version of either Parallels or VM ware and trying Ubuntu on your Mac in a virtual machine.

Dual booting a Mac with Ubuntu is not as straightforward as it is with say a flavour of Windows in Bootcamp.

I use VMware on my iMac a lot to test new versions of Ubuntu and it works very well. I would recommend 4GB Ram however.

-grubby
March 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I would suggest down loading a trial version of either Parallels or VM ware and trying Ubuntu on your Mac in a virtual machine.

Couldn't he just use Virtualbox? It's free.

KiwiNZ
March 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM

Point

I have never used it , so I dont recommend that which I have not used. I have used both Parallels and VMware and they are excellent. I was gifted the latest VMware buy the supplier so I use that .

Tibuda
March 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM

I don't want to use things like Virtual Box. I had problems applying for jobs when using XP on Virtual Box.
:(

KiwiNZ
March 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
That would be something else causing that problem , not the virtual environment

-grubby
March 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
:(

Oh I guess I skipped the OP. Anyways, Kiwi is right; I don't get how Virtualbox would have caused that.

beetleman64
March 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi this is my first post. I'm a Mac user, but after seeing Ubuntu online and a older OS in person. I'm thinking about giving up my Mac for Ubuntu system. Ubuntu offers everything I need from the looks of it? I'm not a computer guy, so sorry if the question sound stupid.

Thank you.

1. I'm not sure about Boot Camp, but you can dual-boot Macintosh and Linux

2. Most releases of Ubuntu are supported for 18 months, but remember that a new release of Ubuntu comes every 6 months. The only exception are the enterprise level LTS releases which receive updates for 3 years. Linux does not need anti-virus software for general use

3. From what I've heard, Ubuntu 10.04 will support both the iPhone and iPod Touch but not iTunes.

sudoer541
March 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
You may be able to use Boot Camp, though Ubuntu comes with it's own boot manager (GRUB)

No, you need antivirus on Ubuntu as much as you need it on Mac.
There is no cost. After the 18 months a newer version will be out. They come out every 6 months, usually one in April and one in October. You can then freely upgrade to it.

As of 10.04 (the version coming out in 2010 in the 4th month, April) will have support for iPhones and iPod touches.

I heard that you can sync an iphone/ ipod touch, but when you unplug the cable it does not store the music into the device.
can you please verify?

madjr
March 22nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
hey kinoko

about ipod touch support check here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/sync-iphone-and-ipod-touch-in-ubuntu.html

as others said, you can start playing with ubuntu 9.10, but theres a big release in april

most importantly have fun and enjoy ;)

clanky
March 23rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Is there any reason why a live CD wouldn't work on a mac?

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
Is there any reason why a live CD wouldn't work on a mac?

Live CD's have a role but I believe they give a bad impression of the capability of an OS. I never use them to show case.

kinoko6.5
March 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
OK thank you for the help. I'm getting the 9.10 for the iMac.

So looks like 10.4 going to be really cool. When do you thinks a safe time to buy a new laptop set up? I'm always told never jump in.

madjr
March 23rd, 2010, 02:03 AM
OK thank you for the help. I'm getting the 9.10 for the iMac.

So looks like 10.4 going to be really cool. When do you thinks a safe time to buy a new laptop set up? I'm always told never jump in.

well i've seen vendors have ubuntu installed and fully tested just about 30 days after the official release

at least for system76 and zareason

kinoko6.5
March 23rd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Didn't know they had more than two company making Ubuntu laptop? I thought it was Dell and System 76?

Any brand in particular I need to know about that's good for some one starting out?

Thanks again!

earthpigg
March 23rd, 2010, 04:15 AM
Didn't know they had more than two company making Ubuntu laptop? I thought it was Dell and System 76?

Any brand in particular I need to know about that's good for some one starting out?

Thanks again!

dell's ubuntu support is... mediocre. i say this as a dell mini 9 owner -- they made their own custom modifications to ubuntu that simply weren't needed. i wiped dell's ubuntu implementation off my dell netbook after an update bricked it. taking updates directly from ubuntu works fine for millions of people, why would dell want to get their little fingers into the mix?

i haven't purchased from zareason or system76, but i tend to lean more towards zareason. ill probably look there first if i ever need a new laptop. don't ask me why, i just get a more 'mom and pop' feel from them. and they are a small local business for me, out of Berkeley right across the Bay.

jamesey
March 23rd, 2010, 04:59 AM

Thank you.
There is an entire subforum devoted to this.
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=328

madjr
March 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks again!

both system76 and zareason make affordable computers that last, people whom have purchased from them have been happy so far

both make some nice designs and even have cool ubuntu key and some other features