PDA

View Full Version : Mark Shuttleworth to announce the Ubupad ?

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Wouldn't that be cool?

Seems to me the only difference between Canonical and Apple is the hardware. Would OSX be any different than Ubuntu (or any other distro) if Apple didn't build hardware?

Hey Mr Shuttleworth, why not an Ubupad?

Wanna' get Ubuntu into more hands? Maybe Canonical should get into the hardware business?

tgalati4
March 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Where's the link to the announcement?

corney91
March 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Seems to me the only difference between Canonical and Apple is the hardware.Say whaaaaaaaaaaa? :o
Would OSX be any different than Ubuntu (or any other distro) if Apple didn't build hardware?

Ummm... for a start, Ubuntu's open-source...

Paqman
March 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Seems to me the only difference between Canonical and Apple is the hardware.

And software.
And size.
And philosophy.
And income.
And the way the company is structured.
And the products they make.

But yeah, otherwise they're pretty much the same.

JDorfler
March 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
There is a huge difference between the two. You can install a version of Ubuntu on anything you want, and Apple will sue the crap out of you if you make a Hackintosh. Apple is the Nazi Party of the computer industry. At least with Windows, they don't care if you install the OS on a toaster, as long as you paid for your lease.

I would love to see AMD get with Conical and create an OpenSource media player. That would just be awesome. And enough with the touch screens. I've seen the future, and it involves a lot of glass cleaner.

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM

There is no announcement. This is a classic "bait-n-switch"

Paqman
March 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Apple is the Nazi Party of the computer industry.

Godwin's in five posts! Impressive! :lolflag:

Maheriano
March 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM

When did he announce this?

coolbrook
March 22nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
The announcement was on Youtubuntu. You're just not slick enough to find it.

fatality_uk
March 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
*sigh*

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
And software.
And size.
And philosophy.
And income.

You miss the point. Completely.

madnessjack
March 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
From the OP

Wouldn't that be cool?
Errrm... I'm indifferent tbh. Kinda cool I guess :P

Paqman
March 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
You miss the point. Completely.

I don't think i'm the only one. Care to expand a little?

mickie.kext
March 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM

Yeah, I second that, im puzzled too.

And while he tries to explain... I will try to make theory of my own...

Oracle
Google
Apple
Canonical

I got it. The last part of name is pronounced same? Is that a connection between Apple and Canonical? Should Canonical make database and search engine too?

:popcorn:

chucky chuckaluck
March 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Apple is the Nazi Party of the computer industry.

that's a little dramatic, don't you think?

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM

Think of it this way: Where would Apple's software be if it didn't build the hardware to run it on?

It would be another Unix distro.

Paqman
March 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Think of it this way: Where would Apple's software be if it didn't build the hardware to run it on?

It would be another Unix distro.

A massive, multinational, highly profitable, publicly-listed Unix distro with a proprietary software stack and a very restrictive licence, aimed at a small segment of the PC market, which was also a major player in the music and video content distribution.

That's ignoring the mobile, mp3, and assorted other markets that Apple are a massive juggernaut in and that Canonical just doesn't compete in.

Sure, Apple has one product that has a distant relation to Canonical's main product, but overall they really couldn't be more dissimilar.

The company that's most like Apple is probably Sony if you ask me.

dragos240
March 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
No, just no. No ubupad. You're just asking for a commercial failure right there :p.

5dolla
March 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
i dunno about ubupad. I would really like to see a linux company
come out with that one hardware app to setup a sizeable linux market share.
I would be glad to pay for it.

Dragonbite
March 22nd, 2010, 07:15 PM
A massive, multinational, highly profitable, publicly-listed Unix distro with a proprietary software stack and a very restrictive licence, aimed at a small segment of the PC market, which was also a major player in the music and video content distribution.

That's ignoring the mobile, mp3, and assorted other markets that Apple are a massive juggernaut in and that Canonical just doesn't compete in.

Sure, Apple has one product that has a distant relation to Canonical's main product, but overall they really couldn't be more dissimilar.

The company that's most like Apple is probably Sony if you ask me.

I think a lot of that would depend on if it had to compete from the beginning on the same platforms as Microsoft and Linux or not.

Apple's success on the i* was in part after some success with the iMacs but would the iMacs have been as successful if it were fighting for CPU real estate with Microsoft and not on their own hardware?

Paqman
March 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I think a lot of that would depend on if it had to compete from the beginning on the same platforms as Microsoft and Linux or not.

Apple's success on the i* was in part after some success with the iMacs but would the iMacs have been as successful if it were fighting for CPU real estate with Microsoft and not on their own hardware?

I get what you're saying, but Apple were traditionally a hardware company, so it's a pretty wildly speculative place to be in.

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
i dunno about ubupad. I would really like to see a linux company
come out with that one hardware app to setup a sizeable linux market share.
I would be glad to pay for it.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

neu5eeCh
March 22nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
I get what you're saying, but Apple were traditionally a hardware company, so it's a pretty wildly speculative place to be in.

Google doesn't seem to think so. Admittedly, they have *way* more money than Canonical.

On the other hand, I trust that Mr Shuttleworth is a smart man. Obviously, it depends on his goals for Ubuntu (which I read as being quite ambitious).

KiwiNZ
March 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
This would be a bad thing. It would divert funding from OS development.That is where the emphasis needs to be. The core business, Ubuntu Linux and associated services and Applications.

The market does not need any more devices and I do not believe that Canonical could compete on equal footing with the other players.

This does not however exclude Canonical forming partnerships with OEMS to joint market a Tablet with Ubuntu preinstalled. A far better cost efficient alternative for Canonical.

madjr
March 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
the closest thing will be the android pads coming

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/adamimg.png

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/12/seven-alternatives-to-the-apple-ipad/

so i guess em will be the Gpads

also probably Meego pads (intel + nokia)

the ipads use the iphone OS, not osx, made for touch, so seems logical

3rdalbum
March 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
The thread is not a "bait-and-switch".

Here's the announcement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

juancarlospaco
March 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Old news, Ubuntu MID edition is pretty old...

Groucho Marxist
March 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
And software.
And size.
And philosophy.
And income.

Frustration; there's an app for that.