PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unsuccessful distribution upgrade.

budhajeewa
March 22nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
In the beginning was the Ubuntu 9.10, and the Ubuntu 9.10 was with Good, and the Ubuntu 9.10 was Good.

:)

Then I've upgraded it to Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha1, to Alpha2 and to Alpha3.

I remember when it was Alpha1, there was the MeMenu thing in my GNOME Panel, but it was gone since, I think - I'm not sure, cuz I've not used that much - Alpha2.

I was able to get it back again according to the help got from the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9002723#poststop

Although I've updated my OS daily, that MeMenu thing never came back automatically!

The doubt that I'm having now is, how can I be sure that all the new features are installed in my - currently - Ubuntu 10.04 Beta1 ?

If MeMenu thing didn't came back - or came - automatically, mightn't there be some things I'm missing in my OS?

howefield
March 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
If MeMenu thing didn't came back - or came - automatically, mightn't there be some things I'm missing in my OS?

It is unlikely that the memenu was removed somewhere along the line by updating, if it had, you would likely see other postings where the memenu has been automatically removed. I don't think there have been any.

The only way I know of for sure to check you have all features is to install again with the Beta disc.

You could track changes by subscribing to changes mailing list

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/lucid-changes

texaswriter
March 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
FWIW, I think the attitudes of the actual Debian maintainers [and most of their users] is kind of extreme as far the lack of steady updates for common programs in the stable version. I certainly can understand the logic and utility behind it, especially for servers, however for somebody trying to use any Debian stable build as a home PC, there are certain applications that can be difficult to keep using if not updated. Although the built-in browsers work find, the Debian version of iceweasel [aka Firefox] is old enough to not work with alot of addins. The repository version of Pidgin no longer works with networks. Compiling a custom version is difficult to get full functionality because of certain versions of dependencies that are extremely difficult if not impossible to get installed in Debian/Lenny. Pidgin can be compiled, just a ton of stuff has to be disabled in order to do it [sound being one].

Other programs that are fairly common are similar: nearly impossible or downright impossible to maintain current versions because dependencies require a version that is extremely difficult to upgrade to [if not impossible].

That's all well and good on one computer. I use Ubuntu on my laptop, so anything bleeding edge can typically go over there.

At the same time, Ubuntu is very much the opposite. I think it would be fair to say it's TOO MUCH the opposite. I could not see myself liking Karmic at the time it was released. I doubt Lucid will be its best when it is released. As such, it would seem suicidal to try it [en masse] as an alpha or beta.

In concluding, extremes are usually not the best for any given situation, but it is usually some point in between that is ideal. With Debian, it is kind of hard to find this "ideal" with Sid being the unstable, untested, insecure route. Either so bleeding edge that you aren't safe or so stable that certain apps are very old [Open Office, Pidgin, Iceweasel just to name some common ones]. With Ubuntu, you can have the same age as Debian offers by going back to the last LTS [probably similar versions of plenty of apps as Debian/Lenny], or any of the iterations in between. That said, Ubuntu gives you the opportunity to use the last version, a version that has matured just fine [like most.... after a tiny bit]. So, using the Alpha/Beta of the upcoming Ubuntu version is even less wise than using the Debian Unstable [Sid].

But that's just caution... who listens to caution anyways... *throw caution to the wind*. :popcorn::KS:p

budhajeewa
March 22nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
It is unlikely that the memenu was removed somewhere along the line by updating, if it had, you would likely see other postings where the memenu has been automatically removed. I don't think there have been any.

Hmm... I still can't imagine how this happened on my PC.

The only way I know of for sure to check you have all features is to install again with the Beta disc.

Oh No! :D

You could track changes by subscribing to changes mailing list

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/lucid-changes

Yeah, I should! :)

budhajeewa
March 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
But that's just caution... who listens to caution anyways... *throw caution to the wind*. :popcorn::KS:p

Yeah, I like facing trouble using Alpha and Beta releases, as they give my LOT of experiences - such as this -, which'll be useful to me somehow.

:)

5735guy
March 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Remember these are development releases and installation should not be considered on a production machine until the RC release. Until then the only options should be LiveCD or virtual machine. I recommend VirtualBox
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

In the meantime continue to work with Ubuntu 9.10 which is probably a pain for you as it will require a re-installation

The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-9.10-karmic-koala

budhajeewa
March 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Remember these are development releases and installation should not be considered on a production machine until the RC release.

No, this is my personal machine that I'd use to do any dirty work like running Alpha, Beta releases.

Anyway, any suggestion for the main topic?