PDA

View Full Version : Htc ubuntu phone - youtube video - i want one!!!!

mrebanza
March 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_rDay9RJ8&feature=channel

gnomeuser
March 22nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
curious but pointless.

It turns a phone into a tablet with a desktop ui that doesn't scale well. I also suspect that the data connection might not be hooked up yet so you are also tied to wifi now.

That phones run Linux isn't new, seeing one run a basically off the shelf is new in the sense that it shows how far Linux has come in a very visual fashion. We always really ran on most anything, but that our full usable systems at least now just run is still good.

Still till it stops being something it is not, namely a tablet/phone OS it isn't going to be truly useful to any but the few. That would also raise questions as to what truly is Ubuntu, at this point you'd be running the same technology, but your UI much of that Ubuntu is shaped around. The experience is different, is it Ubuntu or just Powered by Ubuntu. At which point there are far a better chance of this becoming Ubuntu MeeGo instead, a product I fully expect we will see soon. We already have the Moblin releases and these will naturally become MeeGo but I think it would also be useful for Canonical to be able to provide a working full reference implementation of MeeGo for tablet and phones. Much of the work would come from upstream and it widens the range and reach of Ubuntu.

How cool e.g. would my Nokia N900 be seeing as it runs Maemo a pretty much off the shelf Linux with nearly the same ui technology stack, if that supported Ubuntu One for those to sync my tomboy notes (Conway is supposedly a Tomboy clone in C for the device, I have not yet checked how accurate the replication of the experience is yet), my contacts, calendar appointments and give me a harbor to publish them to the world. I would pay good money for that.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
It's running "You-bunt-oo" he says. lol.

Isn't fun to use the hardest to pronounce disto ever!

PatrickMoore
March 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
having used haret before i think ill pass. i love my htc magic and dont plan on changing unless someone throws a nexus one through my wind right now. a boy can dream right?

NightwishFan
I would have felt that screencast a failure and rehearsed it a little more. That reminds me of the BSOD in Windows 98 launch. The ewebuntwo calender bug.

koleoptero
That thing in the video is lxde actually.

3rdalbum
March 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Very impressive. The UI needs to have bigger widgets but otherwise that's really cool. I'm also quite impressed by how quick the phone is - it doesn't feel any slower than an Atom nettop.

I bet it can't control the actual phone functionality though.

fatality_uk
March 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have an HTC HD2 and I need to faff about this afternoon with haret to get Android on it. I might also have a wee crack at this :)

RabbitWho
March 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
It's the future already, won't belong before we're seeing a ubuntu phone remix. We'll be able to hook them up to our printers and cameras and monitors and keyboards (obviously not all at the same time because that would defeat the purpose, but as you need each thing, it can work like an external hard drive, but it's your whole computer, and you can bring it with you anywhere you go in your pocket.)

The future is so awesome. I'm not buying another phone until they have all the functionality of my laptop and cost under 100 euro. I have an 8 year old phone now, and a 5 year old for when that eventually breaks.

He pronounces ubuntu the way i was taught to pronounce it, learning to say "oo boon too" is harder than learning to say ř