PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 9.10 Doesn't Detect My Vista Installation

stevepaul
March 22nd, 2010, 03:30 AM
This is a bit strange so here goes ....

I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 with a RAID0 config (2x160Gb discs)running Vista Home Premium ...

There is 1 Partition (Vista Install)150Gb and the remaining 150Gb is unallocated ...

I am using the Alternate ISO for installing 9.10, it gets as far as the GRUB2 load when it stops and can't find any other Operating systems ...

I at first used the AMD install as my Dell has AMD processors when it failed (as above) I used the i386 version this again failed ...

However what is strange is that when I tried to install using the 9.04 version (both AMD and i386)I had no problems ...

My problem here is that as I use Mobile Broadband for my Internet connection so it will prove to be both expensive and time consuming to update from 9.04 to 9.10 ...

One thought I had was to continue the install without loading the Grub2 but as I am a complete novice to Ubuntu I would need some really detailed info on how to do this ...

I haven't got a problem with messing with the grub loader as I have BootIT NG for resetting the Vista Boot member ...

I really want to give Ubuntu a real try out now (last tried last year)now that Chrome (my favourite browser) is so up to date on Linux ...

So, any help greatly appreciated ;)

zvacet
March 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
See if any of this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2) can help you to solve your problem.