PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-Partitioning Possible

Iokua86
March 22nd, 2010, 03:13 AM
Ok. I just realized that this could be a Dumb move. But, When I installed UBUNTU 9.10 I used all my disk space. I just realized that I have no free space! Is there a way to repartition the system without reinstalling the entire thing?

raymondh
March 22nd, 2010, 03:42 AM
Ok. I just realized that this could be a Dumb move. But, When I installed UBUNTU 9.10 I used all my disk space. I just realized that I have no free space! Is there a way to repartition the system without reinstalling the entire thing?

why not just resize and create the free space you want?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htm

As always, have a working/tested back-up of your files.

Best,

raymond

wilee-nilee
March 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
why not just resize and create the free space you want?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htm

As always, have a working/tested back-up of your files.

Best,

raymond

Thats a old link although it is correct just a long read.

Op boot the live cd go to gparted in system applications the turn off swap by right clicking on it and turning off then you can resize the partition.

Iokua86
March 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
wow, it was hard navigating back here (says the newbie). I'm not exactly what sure what all this means. I don't have G-parted but there is a disk utility that comes with ubuntu, that allows me to repartition. The only issue now is that there's a device that's stopping me from doing so ./dev/sda1 apparently is mounted and I don't know how to unmount it.

drs305
March 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
The disk utility is most likely gparted, but you may see it in the menu as "Partition Editor". If you are referring to "Disk Utility/palimpest" then the following won't apply (unless you start using Gparted).

If it is Gparted/Partition Editor:

To unmount a partition, click on either the graphic in the upper panel or select the partition in the lower pane (sda1). Then from the upper menu, select "Partition, Unmount".

Any partition with a "key" icon in the lower pane is mounted and should be unmounted. There is also probably a "swap" partition that is also mounted. To unmount the swap partition, select it, then "Partition, Swapoff".

Slim Odds
March 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM

If it is Gparted/Partition Editor:

To unmount a partition, click on either the graphic in the upper panel or select the partition in the lower pane (sda1). Then from the upper menu, select "Partition, Unmount".

If he put everything in one partition, he will not be able to unmount that partition (because Ubuntu is running from that partition). It's much better to just use the LiveCD. That way there is no need to unmount anything (or turn off swapping either).

Iokua86
March 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
what's the LiveCD? and where can I get it?

Iokua86
March 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM
it is the Palimpsest Utility btw.:-?

Slim Odds
March 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
what's the LiveCD? and where can I get it?

The default download is the Live CD. The alternate CD is not a Live CD.

The default CD is bootable in any system that can boot from CD.

drs305
March 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It's much better to just use the LiveCD. That way there is no need to unmount anything (or turn off swapping either).

Actually, even when using the LiveCD, a swap partition is created and would need to be unmounted if wiping out all the partitions.

Slim Odds
March 30th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Actually, even when using the LiveCD, a swap partition is created and would need to be unmounted if wiping out all the partitions.

Not true. When running from the LiveCD it's all memory. It does not touch the hard drives.

That's actually the reason for the LiveCD (even though you can install from it). It lets you try Ubuntu without having to do anything to your existing system. As long as you can boot from CD, you can run Ubuntu entirely in RAM.

drs305
March 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Not true. When running from the LiveCD it's all memory. It does not touch the hard drives.

That's actually the reason for the LiveCD (even though you can install from it). It lets you try Ubuntu without having to do anything to your existing system. As long as you can boot from CD, you can run Ubuntu entirely in RAM.

Yes, you can run Ubuntu in RAM. But if you look at Gparted running in the LiveCD, it shows a swap partition and that partition is mounted. I will have to play with it some more. It appears to use an existing swap partition if found; I believe it must be umounted for Gparted to perform operations on some of the partitions.

raymondh
March 30th, 2010, 03:05 AM
it appears to use an existing swap partition if found; i believe it must be umounted for gparted to perform operations on some of the partitions.

+1

Slim Odds
March 30th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Ok, so turn off swap and continue......