PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to know bitsize of integer variable in gmp library?

kishorebjv
March 22nd, 2010, 02:12 AM
How to know the size of a declared variable in GMP??or how can we decide the size of an integer in GMP?

mpz_random(temp,1);
in manual it is given that this function allocates 1limb(=32bits for my comp) size to the "temp"....
but it is having 9 digit number only..
SO i dont think that 32 bit size number holds only 9 digits number..

So please help me to know the size of integer variable in GMP ..

thanks in adv..

VernonA
March 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
The largest value that can be stored in 32 bits is 0xFFFFFFFF which when printed as an unsigned decimal number is 4,294,967,295. Since the top digit position can only range between 0 and 4 (or -2 to 2 if you are using signed values), it is normal to say that only 9 digits are really available for storing decimal values.

kishorebjv
March 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM
@ vernonA ... THANK YOU.. :)

yea.. you are right... i got it..

But how can i know bit size of a particular integer variable in GMP library..

can u code for displaying bitsize of variable in gmp??

VernonA
March 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM
One of the main purposes of the the GMP library is to use integers whose size grows according to the values they contain. When you create an mpz_t int, you are actually creating a structure which contains, amongst other things, a pointer to some memory created using malloc, plus variables to hold the size of this block, the number of digits in the block and so on. The internals of how this "integer" is used are hidden from you. In practice, you can go through the header files and deconstruct the internal workings if you want. However, if you really do need to keep track of the bitwise size of an int, you can tell the library to stop using malloc and instead use a function which you supply yourself, using the mp_set_memory_functions() call.
If you write a function like:

void * myCleverAllocFn(size_t alloc_size)
{
printf("Creating a var of length %d bits\n", alloc_size*8);
return malloc( alloc_size );
}
and tell the library to use this when creating ints, you will get a printout of their size.

kishorebjv
March 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM
@ VernonA

oooh... lil bit tough ..but very nice reply...

thank youuu... :)