PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] XFCE, KDE, GNOME, anything else

oleink
March 22nd, 2010, 12:32 AM
Hey is it possible to get xfce, kde and gnome with the same ubuntu distro and select them in "session" before logging on? Can I run xfce sometimes and ubuntu gnome others?

soltanis
March 22nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
Yes you can. I think the appropriate packages are

ubuntu-desktop = gnome
kubuntu-desktop = kde
xubuntu-desktop = xfce

From gdm, the login manager, you can select which one you want to use when logging in.

oleink
March 22nd, 2010, 12:34 AM
How do I install them like with the terminal and will my computer continue to run the same speed? (I like how much faster ubuntu is than other operating systems)

soltanis
March 22nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop xubuntu-desktop

In general installing packages you just put the package name after sudo apt-get install.

You can search package lists using

sudo aptitude search <keyword>

Installing all three desktop environments will use much more disk space (since all of them will install their own apps) and I don't know how much they will interfere with each other (KDE and Gnome have competing Network Managers and similar programs that tend to like to enable themselves in each other's environments).

Generally speaking, since you only run one session at a time when you log in, the performance impact should be minimal.

oleink
March 22nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
alright I may just get XFCE than. Thanks! also if i decided to get rid of it would that be possible too?

oleink
March 22nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Got Xfce now too!

n0dix
March 22nd, 2010, 01:17 AM
Please, @oleink don't post multiples threads with the same issue.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1435611

oleink
March 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry. I was told to move my thread here because the other post was in beginner stuff. (still new to the forums)

3Miro
March 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hey is it possible to get xfce, kde and gnome with the same ubuntu distro and select them in "session" before logging on? Can I run xfce sometimes and ubuntu gnome others?

I have all three and I switch between them depending on my mood.

I installed Ubuntu with Gnome first, then

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install xfce4

You probably want xfce4-goodies as well (I am not sure what xubuntu-desktop would install, maybe a few extras).

oleink
March 22nd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Is LXDE any good? What are its primary uses?

sixdrift
March 22nd, 2010, 11:14 PM
LXDE is a really good desktop. Its fast and efficient. It uses fewer resources than GNOME, KDE, and xfce. I have been running it for a couple of seeks now doing some tests.

oleink
March 23rd, 2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. I got my laptop for free besides the hard drive. The former owners had fried theirs. I am going to upgrade to 4gb of ram but I want to be able to run this computer as smoothly as possible