PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ATI proprietary Driver install issue

BudBear
March 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
i tried to install the 10.2 Catalyst driver on my PC and although it worked in the Gnome environment, unfortunately i prefer KDE and it hangs at the splash screen on log in and basically for some reason does not work at all. i was using the restricted FGLRX driver in Kubuntu without issue but i thought if i updated to the latest ATI driver it might work better. so realizing that wasn't happening i tried removing it and going back to the restricted driver that is avail in synaptic. i can not seem to get it to work again. i am now using the open source driver and lost my 3D and dual monitor support. i am hoping to get help with making sure the 10.2 Catalyst install is completely removed, so that the proprietary driver in synaptic might once again work.

my basic system is and AMD5200 on a M3A78-EM which has the Radeon HD3200. it is built on Karmic Mythbuntu, however i'm just using it as a Kubuntu desktop.
i'm really mad at myself for messing with it cuz it was working ok, now i broke it good.

in the Xorg log file this is the error

(EE) Unable to initialize PCS database
(EE) Missing PCS defaults file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default
(EE) No devices detected.

thanks in advance for any help