PDA

View Full Version : game series you wish hadn't stopped

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
as per title.

the star wars knights of the old republic series would be mine.
the first two games were AWESOME. i wouldn't call myself a total star wars freak, but like most people born in the 70s/80s, i am a fan.

i hear they're maybe making a new one, but it's going to be online. i used to play star wars galaxies, but i don't really get mmorpgs, first off it takes up WAAAAY too much of your real life before they get fun, and secondly, the freaks who dedicate their lives to being uber just so they can annoy everyone else really get on my goat.

the first two kotor games were just class, and it was a perfect timeframe for them to make games in. too many star wars games try to fit in around the movies and it just really restricts them in terms of storyline, but even had i not been a starwars fan i think i'd have loved the two kotor games.

i realy wish they'd make another one instead of going down the online route.

Psumi
March 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM
Xenosaga

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
oh, and i hate the way the breath of fire series went with dragon quarter too.

3 was great, 4 had a better battle system but the story was a little lacking, then they just totally lost their minds.

cascade9
March 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Xcom....hmmm, maybe not, they started out great and just got worse.....I know! Fallout! *refuses to acknowledge that there could ever be a 1st person version of that classic isometric game*

dragos240
March 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Well, technically the sonic games haven't stopped, but I feel that they have lost their fun, I really think sonic adventure 2 was the last good sonic game, all the others after that seem kind of......

NCLI
March 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM
The Crono series from Squaresoft.

LarsKongo
March 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Shenmue. I just want to know how the story continues and ends.

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
The Crono series from Squaresoft.

i wouldn't be so sure that they wouldn't make another one, squaresoft tend to focus on the FF franchise but they do release other games the odd time, the chrono* series does have some life left in it

dragos240
March 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM

Oh my gosh, I really hope sega makes a third as well. (I also hope they get better translations though, the dialogue is awful!)

Nevon
March 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Shining Force. 1&2 were great. I've never been able to play 3, but from what I've seen, it looks pretty good as well.

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Shining Force. 1&2 were great. I've never been able to play 3, but from what I've seen, it looks pretty good as well.

i nearly bought a dreamcast just for shenmue, and nearly bought a saturn just to play shining force 3, but both times sense got the better of me.

shining force 2 was pretty much the game that made me love rpgs, i'd love to see a new one.

i bought the sega megadrive ultimate collection for my ps3, shining force 1 & 2 and another one i'd never played - shining in the darkness.

Hyper Tails
March 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
Well, technically the sonic games haven't stopped, but I feel that they have lost their fun, I really think sonic adventure 2 was the last good sonic game, all the others after that seem kind of......

same here

lets hope that sonic 4 is awesome

kaldor
March 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
as per title.

the star wars knights of the old republic series would be mine.
the first two games were AWESOME. i wouldn't call myself a total star wars freak, but like most people born in the 70s/80s, i am a fan.

i hear they're maybe making a new one, but it's going to be online. i used to play star wars galaxies, but i don't really get mmorpgs, first off it takes up WAAAAY too much of your real life before they get fun, and secondly, the freaks who dedicate their lives to being uber just so they can annoy everyone else really get on my goat.

the first two kotor games were just class, and it was a perfect timeframe for them to make games in. too many star wars games try to fit in around the movies and it just really restricts them in terms of storyline, but even had i not been a starwars fan i think i'd have loved the two kotor games.

i realy wish they'd make another one instead of going down the online route.

The Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series = pure perfection. Try Jedi Academy and play it online; it's amazing.

Tom.Gee
March 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
I miss burning through Shibuya cho at nearly 200KPH. Since the passing of Okawa-san, the games haven't been the same.

(Tokyo Extreme Racer, and Chaiman of Sega, Isao Okawa, 2001)

Tom

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM
The Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series = pure perfection. Try Jedi Academy and play it online; it's amazing.

i think i've played one of them, it had kyle katarn in it and i played a few levels, and while i enjoyed it, i never got too far. i've never really been into FPS games, i prefer rpgs where it requires a bit of thought rather than just a quick trigger finger.

and i don't like online games at all. while i'm a geek, it doesn't rule my life, i like being able to pause a game at any time and go do something else, i think online games restrict my freedom too much.

dragos240
March 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
same here

lets hope that sonic 4 is awesome

Unfortunately, it's not made by sonic team. But it should still give that same feel.

Nevon
March 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
shining in the darkness.

Shining in the Darkness was awful! Especially when compared to the other 2 (or possibly 3).

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 10:59 PM
Shining in the Darkness was awful! Especially when compared to the other 2 (or possibly 3).

really? i didn't get much of a chance to play it before i was sidetracked by some real ps3 games.

gnomeuser
March 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
Ground Control, the first game was life alteringly good, I never tried the sequel since I switched to Linux entirely by then and none of the wine solutions supported the game.

However I am sad to see it never be more fully explored, it was in my mind one of the best and most underrated RTS experiences available with real innovative ideas for it's time (and some which remain).

I am also sad to see the Fallout series having ended. No, Fallout 3 is not a Fallout game, it's the unholy love child of Quake and Might and Magic with none of the charms and touches that made Fallout 2 the best game ever created.

Baldur's Gate I was sad to see stop, I had such a great time exploring the first game. I preordered the second one but having not yet entirely explored the first game I didn't play it when it arrived. Then a friend borrowed it and I haven't seen it or him since... come to think of it that was around the time my Planescape Torment disappeared as well.

I also do quite miss the charm of the original Leisure Suit Larry games. I played the typing versions of the first game when I was 6 with a dictionary in my hand. I learned more English that way than I ever did in any class afterwards. I think this is an underrated learning experience for young children to have such a typing adventure in a second language available. It challenges and lets them explore. I certainly invested more time in playing those games than I did in doing homework (I used to play Space Quest 3 on time - roughly 3h, slightly obsessive I know). I know some people consider Leisure Suit Larry unsuitable for children, but I found it to be a rather unimportant part of it. Still maybe a good murder mystery or something.. go make it.

#11u-max
March 22nd, 2010, 01:01 AM
the need for speed series.. 'nuff said!

MasterNetra
March 22nd, 2010, 01:04 AM

Well there is OpenSonic ;) I haven't been able to try much after Sonic & Knuckles, but I did manage to get Sonic Heros. The game would of been at least alright if it wasn't for the crappy cameras...

swoll1980
March 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM

W/o a doubt. They were working on 3. I don't know what happened.

juancarlospaco
March 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM
Doom
id software seems died since new owners, and they support linux :(

kaldor
March 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
i think i've played one of them, it had kyle katarn in it and i played a few levels, and while i enjoyed it, i never got too far. i've never really been into FPS games, i prefer rpgs where it requires a bit of thought rather than just a quick trigger finger.

and i don't like online games at all. while i'm a geek, it doesn't rule my life, i like being able to pause a game at any time and go do something else, i think online games restrict my freedom too much.

That's why I play Jedi Academy; it's one of few online "shooter" games that has a relaxed feeling where people often just hang around and do whatever. The multiplayer aspect is partly open source, too. Lots of mods and customization. It's wonderful :)

odiseo77
March 22nd, 2010, 02:43 AM
Thief series.

DeadSuperHero
March 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
Chronotrigger. That game was amazing.

And Space Quest.

eksasol
March 22nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I definitely would want to see a 4th Thief game. However, that style of gameplay doesn't appeal to this generation. Bioshock was a run and gun shooter which got boring after 10minutes. I don't have much hope for Deus Ex 3 either. Mean while some of the Deus Ex fan projects seem to be dead or come to an indefinite halt.

i wouldn't be so sure that they wouldn't make another one, squaresoft tend to focus on the FF franchise but they do release other games the odd time, the chrono* series does have some life left in it I read an interview or something like that about Yasunori that he would not want to take part in making Chrono series again if it wouldn't involve the same people he worked with. I'm more upset of the fact that they closed down the fan remake project. The only redeeming point of Chrono Cross for me was Yasunori composing.

I almost stop gaming completely these days, but I still pay attention to some of recent games by Tim Shafer. Of course, any Lucas Arts adventure games would be welcomed.

odiseo77
March 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I definitely would want to see a 4th Thief game. However, that style of gameplay doesn't appeal to this generation. Bioshock was a run and gun shooter which got boring after 10minutes. I don't have much hope for Deus Ex 3 either. Mean while some of the Deus Ex fan projects seem to be dead or come to an indefinite halt.

Yes, it's a rare game; I like it very much, although sometimes it may be a bit slow to play :)

Jordanwb
March 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
Midtown Madness 2

I wish Microsoft (whoa! them's fighting words) kept going with the series

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 22nd, 2010, 04:50 AM
Shenmue, Wing Commander, StarCraft...oh wait it didn't end it just seems like it cause it takes more than a decade to make a sequel.

Chronotrigger. That game was amazing.

And Space Quest.

Call me a weirdo, but I actually genuinely preferred Chrono Cross. So much of that was the way it referenced Chrono Trigger though. Amazing games.

PatrickMoore
March 22nd, 2010, 04:55 AM
i just wished they brought final fantasy to wii. and not crystal chronicles

purgatori
March 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
There are many:

Freedom Fighters, Vampire the Masquerade, Battlezone, Chrono Trigger/Cross, KOTOR, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Sacrifice, and Neverwinter Nights appears to have stopped as well, as a new title has not been announced.

And there are some series which I wish HAD stopped, like Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Forza, etc.

NightwishFan
March 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
I agree with Vampires The Masquerade. Epic game.

forrestcupp
March 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
I can't believe no one has said Duke Nukem.

Legacy of the Ancients/Legend of Blacksilver
7th Guest/11th Hour

Thief series.
+1 Great first person game that is a different concept than the thousands of run-around-and-shoot-everybody games.

JDShu
March 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
oh, and i hate the way the breath of fire series went with dragon quarter too.

3 was great, 4 had a better battle system but the story was a little lacking, then they just totally lost their minds.

BoF2 brings back good memories.

Tristam Green
March 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Xenosaga

After I finish White Knight Chronicles, I think I'm going to take this up. My wife has volume 1, and she seemed to enjoy it. Was it good?

-grubby
March 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I've played all the GTAs but have never managed to finish a single one. I'm determined to finish Half Life 2 sometime, I gave up on a somewhat hard part before Ravenholm and I hear that you don't really get hooked until Ravenholm.

Tristam Green
March 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
I've played all the GTAs but have never managed to finish a single one. I'm determined to finish Half Life 2 sometime, I gave up on a somewhat hard part before Ravenholm and I hear that you don't really get hooked until Ravenholm.

Ravenholm is where the fecal matter hits the air impeller, my friend. You will love Ravenholm.

Game series I wish hadn't ended?

- Mother/EarthBound - in the US.
Star Wars: Dark Forces (I know, Jedi Academy blah blah, but DF1 and DF2 were awesome.)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - the proper games, 1 and 2 - 3 was an abomination.
Worms
Age of Empires - they could have kept releasing expansions for AOEII and I'd have been a continually happy man.

Simian Man
March 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thief series.

They are actually making a Thief 4 which I am excited about. No telling how good it will be though.

Also KOTOR like others have said.

Blackmag+c
March 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
are they making any more counterstrike games?

I really loved source, as well as the day of defeat counterpart.

GET ON IT VALVE!!

5dolla
March 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
i still play dod source! I miss however Kings Quest :frown:

_h_
March 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Warcraft.

Wish Blizzard didn't stop at Frozen Throne. :(

5dolla
March 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
oh man yeah warcraft was ftw and DOTA

_h_
March 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
oh man yeah warcraft was ftw and DOTA

I just wish Blizzard could have extended the lore into a few more RTS games before coming out with World of Warcraft.

Sutekh849
March 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
homeworld, evil genius, FREESPACE, KOTOR (said a lot all ready, but so epic it deserves another mention, and screw the mmo), timesplitters, battlefront. all i can think of off the top of my head, although there are a few others.

5dolla
March 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
I just wish Blizzard could have extended the lore into a few more RTS games before coming out with World of Warcraft.

Yeah I agree. sometimes I really have to stop and think about how
blizz comes up with some of the wow lore lol.

NightwishFan
March 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I wish Blizzard never came out with World Of Warcraft. Then I could enjoy all of their good games. That company leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

donkyhotay
March 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
It's not exactly a series since they only made the one game, but Moonbase Commander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbase_Commander) is one of my favorite games of all time and I have always wished they had made a sequel (or at least fixed some stuff in the original).

ZarathustraDK
March 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Miss the Baldurs Gate series so badly. Really, that was one epic story.
Remember the first time you didn't have a clue about constitution, rolled a mage and went on adventure with 4HP? :D

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM

Why? I don't like any of the Duke Nukems after the original that ran on DOS or whatever.

odiseo77
March 22nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
They are actually making a Thief 4 which I am excited about. No telling how good it will be though.

Also KOTOR like others have said.

I read something about a possible Thief 4 release some months ago, but by the time I read about it, it was more a rumor than anything else. Anyway, hope it won't take too long and it's as good as the other ones (haven't played the 2nd, but the 1st and the 3rd ones are great) :)

JDorfler
March 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
FREESPACE

And the Legacy of Kane series. Nothing but awesomeness.

sudoer541
March 23rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
my list:

adventure island
super tanks

TheNosh
March 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Worms
+1

Nah, man! Duke Nukem Forever will be released in 1998 1999 2008 eventually!

dragonboss
March 23rd, 2010, 02:23 AM
Jet Set Radiooo!!

forrestcupp
March 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Why? I don't like any of the Duke Nukems after the original that ran on DOS or whatever.
Duke Nukem 3D was a pioneer in 3D gaming (even if it was really only 2.5D). Sure we had Wolfenstein and Doom. But Duke Nukem 3D was the first game that you could jump, swim, and even fly in. You couldn't even jump in Doom.

Nah, man! Duke Nukem Forever will be released in 1998 1999 2008 eventually!
Lol. Hence the name "Forever".