PDA

View Full Version : What did happend in EU about browser ballot

Fri13
March 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Microsoft has started to send as a update the internet browser ballot in EU countries what gives windows users choice to choose the browser what gets installed and set as default in the windows when taking it first time in use.

The EU did the judgement because Microsoft has abused its dominant market position in operating system markets as leverage for internet browser markets and gained dominant market position there as well.

Last time 2007 EU did judge Microsoft to pay over billion about Windows mediaplayer position about using same abusive manner the dominant position in the the OS markets to leverage its mediaplayer. That judgement did not end up well. EU did not force MS to sell Edition N as the only edition but as one next to default ones. Microsoft did not manufacture more than 1780 Edition N boxes and 46% of those were sold to one french manufacturer.

Microsoft told that there is no need for Edition N. Microsoft just simple told every OEM to not market or preinstall Edition N and not to present it anywhere. So when people does not know about it, they can not demand it.

Now EU tried to be accurate not to make same mistake. But it succeeded only partially on its ruling.

The idea was that Microsoft need to set up a ballot for the user where user selects the browser what he wants. First page has 5 most used browsers in random order. The next 7 choices are on on second page.

First Microsoft did it by using the IE as the ballot engine. So IE is needed to be installed to get the ballot.

Secondly it tried to keep the IE logo on the window corner and taskbar so the user gets familiar icon what to click. Opera did not like that and they get removed.

Third the MS tried to make the list ordered by popularity. So it would place IE in first on the left. Mozilla did not like it and the order got randomized so every browser has the equal possibility to be shown.

The idea was that user gets a list where is the browser icon. Under it a short descreption of the browser and under them a link to Install or give more info about the browser.
If user clicks the more information, the IE gets opened and shown the browser own site about it. If user clicks Install, the installer gets downloaded from browser manufacturer server and installed and set as default.

The main purpose of this was that the windows would not have IE pre-installed by default. MS did try to first to deny that. MS did then make feature as forced that IE could be disabled by the way that some of the IE executables are moved to other directory as backup if user wanted to enable it again.

Now the IE is always installed, even if user choose another browser. The IE does not get disabled after choosing the alternative browser. Only its icons are hided in start-menu and desktop and panel. But every other application program can open it. Like games where you click a forum or support and it opens a IE, even you would use Opera, Safari or Firefox or another browser by default.

If EU would be wise at this time, it would have demanded that ballot being developed as own application program and not by using IE technologies. When user choose the IE to be his/her default browser, the application would then download the IE from MS site or ask to place the windows disk to drive and install it from there. Or at least then enable the IE functionality by moving the IE parts back from the backup directory.

And only then the IE would be functional browser.

jrusso2
March 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Opera has stated they have seen a large increase in their downloads since this started.

NCLI
March 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
You can't ask for more than a randomized ballot screen. My only regret is that it isn't worldwide.

Duncan J Murray
March 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yes, there are some niggling details, but it's such a huge step in the right direction that I have to vote for it as going well.

Now what are the EU going to do about the fact that it is almost impossible to buy a computer (esp a laptop of a particular brand) without Windows preinstalled (and therefore as part of the asking price).

Why am I unable to purchase a Lenovo Thinkpad without an OS?

Anyone know if any headway is being made in this? Or who to contact to petition a similar outcome as the above? On a personal level, I don't want to upgrade my hardware if it means sending more money MS way for no good reason.

Duncan.

blueturtl
March 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm going to quote myself from just a while back (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8992771#post8992771):

...What pains me the most about these EU/US court cases is that by meddling with a free entity's product (it belongs to Microsoft, not us) - they are in fact giving Microsoft's dominance that final seal of approval. We recognize you as the only choice -- so in return for granting you your monopoly we wish to have a say in your product development. If we accept this, it means we are moving closer to actually granting Microsoft a real monopoly!

For a company that is facing a slow death from superior alternatives, being a real monopoly is a desirable position. It means they will not go away, so playing ball with the legislators is really in Microsoft's best interest right now.

Or summing up -- we're heading for the right goal but via the wrong means!