PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble After Motherboard Upgrade

nirvana21
March 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Recently, my motherboard died. As a result I had to install a new, different model and chipset board. I have two noticeable problems after the upgrade. I am running 9.04 for reference.

The first is if I click on the trash can icon, natilus dies (or so I think it does). Suppose I have my home folder open or any other folder for that matter and I click on the trash, all of those folder browsing windows die. I can see a window start to form, like the border and whatever for trash but then before any contents or menus forms it disappears. If nothing else is open, trash still doesn't come up.

The second issue is related to my multimedia keys on my keyboard. I used to be able to control the volume (up or down). Now I just get the picture of the speaker in the top right corner but cannot increase or decrease the volume. The volume appears to be at minimum. My mute button does not work either. It seems to mute something but maybe not the right sound source. My play/pause, stop, and next/previous buttons all work. I just want to note that I am using the integrated sound of my motherboard (Realtek ALC889).

Thanks for the help!

nirvana21
March 22nd, 2010, 01:06 AM
Is this in the wrong section or did I explain it poorly? Any ideas or help is appreciated.

phillw
March 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hi,

If I were in the 'funnies' area after changing MotherBoards I'd

1) Get my /home onto a seperate partition --> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

2) Re-install.

Okay, so it takes a couple of hours. But, it would let Ubuntu have a real good look at your new motherboard and the various chip-sets on there that are different to the ones on your old mother-board.

Regards,

Phill.

nirvana21
March 22nd, 2010, 02:24 AM
Hi,

If I were in the 'funnies' area after changing MotherBoards I'd

1) Get my /home onto a seperate partition --> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

2) Re-install.

Okay, so it takes a couple of hours. But, it would let Ubuntu have a real good look at your new motherboard and the various chip-sets on there that are different to the ones on your old mother-board.

Regards,

Phill.

I was hoping to avoid that. It isn't unbearable, just annoying.

What if I removed nautilus and then reinstalled it? Is that a bad idea? I have no idea for the sound though.