PDA

View Full Version : Google mail

Georgia boy
March 21st, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi. Was wondering if Google mail is any good or not. Is it similar to Yahoo etc?

Tom

_h_
March 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Don't compare Google to Yahoo. :P

And Gmail is way better than Yahoo mail, in my opinion. It's faster, has more space, better features and better spam protection.

Psumi
March 21st, 2010, 06:00 PM
Don't compare Google to Yahoo. :P

And Gmail is way better than Yahoo mail, in my opinion. It's faster, has more space, better features and better spam protection.

And you're forgetting that Gmail has no pictorial ads.

_h_
March 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
And you're forgetting that Gmail has no pictorial ads.

This too, hell I didn't even know Gmail had ads on it when I first started using it long ago (since they are text based).

CharlesA
March 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Don't forget that you can access it using mail clients (IMAP and POP/SMTP) without having to pay for an "upgrade."

NightwishFan
March 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM
That is why I do not use yahoo. I always use Evolution to manage my mail, why should I have to pay to do so.

phibxr
March 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi. Was wondering if Google mail is any good or not. Is it similar to Yahoo etc?

Tom

I've never really noticed the ads in GMail, and it has a very good default web based interface. You can access it via POP or IMAP too, which is a big plus.

They do scan every letter that you send or receive though, to be able to give you customized advertisements, so it's up to you to figure out if that violates your integrity too much.

lovinglinux
March 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM
IMO, none of the free web mail services can be compared to Gmail, which is way much better than Yahoo. I also don't know any non-free web mail services that is better than Gmail.

I used Roundcube on a hosted server a few years ago and it was really nice and clean, but I don't know how it is looking these days.

NCLI
March 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Gmail is fast, stable, has loads of storage(and cheap upgrades if you want more), built-in translation tools, the best spam-filter I have ever seen, simple and comprehensive integration with Android, and it's easily themeable! Lastly, it's very secure.

In short: It's THE webmail client.

venator260
March 21st, 2010, 07:10 PM
On thing that hasn't been mentioned, but I love, is the grouping of back and forth emails like a message board thread. I do alot of email collaboration for a job I have, and that feature makes that so much easier.

uRock
March 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM
I am sure Yahoo is nice enough to scan them, too. I have both yahoo and gmail, gmail is definitely better being I can use Thunderbird to get my mail. I like the My Yahoo page for getting news from multiple sites all at once.

RussianVodka
March 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM
I am sure Yahoo is nice enough to scan them, too. I have both yahoo and gmail, gmail is definitely better being I can use Thunderbird to get my mail. I like the My Yahoo page for getting news from multiple sites all at once.

If you're talking about RSS, Google Reader can do that.

uRock
March 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM
If you're talking about RSS, Google Reader can do that.

I use RSS and a bunch of non RSS stuff on on Yahoo.

lisati
March 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
I concur that the way Gmail copes with spam seems to be better than Yahoo.

(By the way: some free Yahoo accounts can be accessed via IMAP or POP. I think it depends in part on where you live.)

HappinessNow
March 21st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Gmail is pretty awesome, much more user friendly then yahoo or any other alternative, paid or free.

NCLI
March 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
On thing that hasn't been mentioned, but I love, is the grouping of back and forth emails like a message board thread. I do alot of email collaboration for a job I have, and that feature makes that so much easier.

Yes, definitely love that feature. I'd forgotten all about it! It makes mailing-lists way more useful!

I use RSS and a bunch of non RSS stuff on on Yahoo.
Try iGoogle, you'll never go back ;)

scouser73
March 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
don't compare google to yahoo. :p

and gmail is way better than yahoo mail, in my opinion. It's faster, has more space, better features and better spam protection.
+1

aklo
March 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Gmail is the best.
Doesn't lag as much as yahoo...and more functionality they yahoo mail.

Georgia boy
April 25th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks everyone! Think I'll set up a Gmail account then. I have the Yahoo one that I mainly use as a backup for things I don't want to lose. I have some good storage there. Go there once in awhile just to keep it going and delete what I don't need any longer. Guess I'll give this one a try now.

Thanks

Tom

PhilGil
April 25th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I'm going to interrupt the usual Google lovefest for a bit...

I use both Yahoo and Google, and they both have strengths and weaknesses. I've been with Yahoo for at least 10 years so I still use them as my primary email. Yahoo services vary by region, so I'll be referencing the US version of Yahoo mail.

1. Yahoo mail offers unlimited storage, Gmail is 7 GB

2. Google scrapes your email to target your ads, Yahoo scrapes your contact list to promote their social networking services to you.

3. Yahoo has horrific banner ads (which can easily be dealt with using adblock plus), Google does not.

4. The Yahoo web interface is more Outlook like, the Google interface is <ahem> unique. I personally hate, hate, hate not being able to preview my Gmail before opening it. It's so much quicker to read emails in a preview pane than to have to click to open each one. I know this is personal taste, but I much prefer the Yahoo interface.

5. The Yahoo spam filter seems effective to me, the one complaint I have is that it can sometimes be overly-aggressive.

6. SMS and Yahoo messenger are seamlessly embedded in their email interface.

7. The huge win for Google is that they offer free IMAP access. I think one one of the big reasons Gmail is eating Yahoo mail for lunch is Yahoo's insistence on retaining their walled garden in many of their markets (including the US). There are a couple of workarounds available, but you still only get POP access, not IMAP.

8. Yahoo just seems to have lost their will to be innovative in email and calendaring. When they purchased Zimbra, it seemed like there were going to be some great features on the way. Instead, they introduced a lame social networking space and some useless embedded apps.

standingwave
April 25th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Yes, definitely love that feature. I'd forgotten all about it! It makes mailing-lists way more useful!"Conversation view." Some people hate it but I happen to love it. I can't imagine using anything else.

ceelo
April 25th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I continue to be impressed by Gmail's spam blocker. I receive a ton of spam on one of my accounts and absolutely none of it ever ends up in my inbox.

chucky chuckaluck
April 25th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I like gmail quite a bit. I never notice the ads unless it's something ridiculous. for example, if I were talking about running and said something about "picking up the pace", an ad for Pace Picante Sauce might appear. (Btw, chrome has an extension that blocks most of the ads. Naturally, I've forgotten what it's called.)

steveneddy
April 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I like gmail quite a bit. I never notice the ads unless it's something ridiculous. for example, if I were talking about running and said something about "picking up the pace", an ad for Pace Picante Sauce might appear. (Btw, chrome has an extension that blocks most of the ads. Naturally, I've forgotten what it's called.)

I believe it is called "AdSweep"

I use Google Mail and AdSweep works great.

babybean
April 25th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I am quite liking the new drag and drop attachment support in gmail. Wouldn't change email server over it but it is another nice feature.

Old Marcus
April 25th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I use gmail nowadays, I used to use Yahoo but the spam got annoying.

Since google only scrape my emails to give me ads, I don't particularly mind about that. If I get some slapper knocking on my door with 'Mountain View' tattooed on her arm, I might worry.