PDA

View Full Version : What to write in a CV if you've never had a job before?

BinaryFeast
March 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM
OK, so I'm going to start searching for jobs for the summer, and I'm expected to have a fat CV to turn in. I've looked up plenty of guides online, and they all describe how you should basically describe all previous jobs you've had in chronological order. However, I've been studying all my life and never had a job before. So what does one in my position actually write in a CV? Any advice? Or am I screwed?

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
everyone has to start somewhere, but unless you've a bunch of qualifications expect to have to accept some menial work ro start of with.
my advice is to take ANY job you can get at first. employers don't look too kindly on you lounging around doing nothing, so any job on your history at least shows a willingness to work.

the best thing to do is just bum yourself up, say that although your employment history is scarce due to you only recently completing your studies, you have an appetite to learn and are eager to take on any task or responsibilities given to you. basically just put as much BS on there as you can.

Nevon
March 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
Well, I'd recommend listing any projects or other activities you've been involved with. For example, you could list your seven years of professional luging or that time when you constructed an artificial volcano for science class. If you don't have any job experience whatsoever (never even had a summer job or an internship of some kind?) I guess you're just going to have to play on your other strengths - interests, experience, personality, etc.

thatguruguy
March 21st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? When you claim you've been "studying all [your] life," how long of a period are you referring to?

BinaryFeast
March 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? When you claim you've been "studying all [your] life," how long of a period are you referring to?

20. Never had a summer job because I was lazy and stupid. Now I'm studying to become an engineer in bioinformatics and realize that I better get off my couch real soon or it may be too late.

Swagman
March 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM
GissaJob

I'm not a fan of CV's. They are merely "Brag-sheets". Just because a person has (Big it up) X on a piece of paper doesn't mean they are the best for the job.

They could well be lazy, awkward SOB's that pull a sicky if they so much as sneeze.

It's actually law in quite a few western countries to be trained on the job anyway...so.. A willingness to "muck in" and learn at work is far better than an arrogant snotnose who thinks "I've got X so I'm uber".

But that's just my view.

Good luck on the interview.

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Does anyone in your family or extended family own, run or manage a business?

Get them to be your reference, if they don't feel comfortable lying volunteer to help them for a few weeks and learn the ropes, that way they can still reference for you and they won't feel bad.

lazerradial2003
Maybe get a few job descriptions for the type of things you'll be applying for and trawl through things you've done for stuff that matches the qualities they've asked for - even if it's not work experience in the strict sense - then put it down. Even if you can't spin all the examplea you come up with to fit on a CV, they'll probably be useful at inteview etc.

clanky
At 20 your academic history should be enough, but put in any voluntary work you may have done.

Just don't mention those 2 years in jail:p

Swagman
March 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
At 20 your academic history should be enough, but put in any voluntary work you may have done.

Exactly.

Success is learning to Bullsheet good.

lazerradial2003
March 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Dangerously true!

BinaryFeast
March 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM

Or those 2 years trolling various forums... ;)

Nevon
March 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
Or those 2 years trolling various forums... ;)

Oh I don't know. You could probably spin that around to sound like two years of creative writing. ;)

VastOne
March 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Exactly.

Reminds me of an old belt buckle I had in the 70's

"Success comes to those who Hustle Wisely..."

It has never failed me ...