PDA

View Full Version : I love the repair-ability of linux

sandyd
March 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
I just love it.
One of my coworkers just did "sudo rm /usr/lib/x*" (dont do it).
and the only thing that was needed to fix that was to boot up using a livecd, plop /usr/lib/x* onto the ubuntu drive. and the computer was back online.

But then, it takes the joys out of reinstalling :D

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
How come he did it?

FuturePilot
March 21st, 2010, 04:16 PM
The problem is, now you're probably using old versions of whatever those libraries are.

Shpongle
March 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
The problem is, now you're probably using old versions of whatever those libraries are.

would that not get fixed with an update ?

sandyd
March 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I later marked them all for complete removal, then after that reinstallation.
But then again, I did that remotely from my office while she was still working...

I could have just toyed with the update servers (we have local repos here), but I was too lazy to :|

RiceMonster
March 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
would that not get fixed with an update ?

They won't automatically update because the package manager doesn't know it's an older version if you just manually copy the files over.

Shpongle
March 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM
They won't automatically update because the package manager doesn't know it's an older version if you just manually copy the files over.

oh i see , thanks for pointing that out

sandyd
March 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM
How come he did it?
she was preparing to vaporize the libx264 libraries. because she compiled them manually.

and she aparently did a few typos along the way...

madjr
March 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM
hm, ubuntu should focus on the next versions with some kind of backup/image/self-repair thingy

the number of if images/backups would just depend on the space you assign to it

that would b wonderful if well integrated and give it an edge over other distros :D

fatality_uk
March 21st, 2010, 06:09 PM
doh!

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM
hm, ubuntu should focus on the next versions with some kind of backup/image/self-repair thingy

that would b wonderful if well integrated and give it an edge over other distros :D

sounds very like windows system restore.

madjr
March 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM
sounds very like windows system restore.

um kinda
we dont have nothing similar built in

would avoid lots of headaches

Seano911
March 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Try Back In Time. http://backintime.le-web.org/ for back ups.

falconindy
March 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM

Windows needs such a crutch because the registry is essentially a black box. The filesystem itself is moving in this direction, as well, with Windows 7. Mangling either one of these can lead to a completely unresponsive system that might not even be recoverable with System Restore. SR is a flawed system which backs up to the same drive the data is on. What happens if this drive becomes corrupt during defrag, chkdsk, or otherwise? Mirroring software capable of performing the same task but in a consistent manner costs money.

In Linux, everything is transparent. If you make regular backups of the proper directories (using any one of number of free and readily available methods), you will always be able to restore to your exact previous state. If you don't make backups, you get what you deserve. This is the user's responsibility, not the OS's.

To that extent, there is backup software in the Ubuntu repos. There's even entire filesystems (e.g. btrfs or nilfs) and partition overlays (LVM) that give you the ability to make snapshots and roll back at will.

In short: The tools are already available.

madjr
March 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Try Back In Time. http://backintime.le-web.org/ for back ups.

interesting, would u recommend this as default for next ubuntu releases?

sq7bti
March 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'd recommend debsums (http://vmlinux.org/cgi-bin/dwww?type=runman&location=DEBSUMS/1) on such system with inconsistency between deb package database vs actual filesystem. Just to make sure what version dpkg "thinks" it had installed and what is actually there, apparently copied from LiveCD. It will tell you what files needs a re-installation.