PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 Beta

ex-wirecutter
March 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Have just done a trial run of Lucid Lynx beta and all I can say is WOW !
The final release can't come soon enough , it looks great . Couldn't seem to find the " test CD for errors " option , but as mine loaded and ran didn't need it . Question , if I install 10.04 now , will I be able to just upgrade it at the end of April , or will I have to delete and re-install from a fresh iso CD ?

quixote
March 23rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
The final version is just the earlier versions with all updates installed. So, if you stay current with the updates, on April 29th you will automagically become one of the first Lucid people. :)

ex-wirecutter
March 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for that , it seems fairly stable even in beta , so I think I will start using it , the developers certainly seem to have done a great job .

quixote
March 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it's pretty stable in my experience. I've used both 32-bit version in virtualbox and a 64-bit version installed in its own partition, and both have worked flawlessly so far. But the "so far" is important. It is pre-release. So no guarantees. :)

ugm6hr
April 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Just put it on a HP Mini Netbook and a Gigabyte / AMD self-built desktop. Went with Xubuntu, which is more classical in appearance, and very similar to the prior Gnome variants.

2 other laptop / nebooks will follow after the end of the month.

I'm impressed.