PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 3/19/2010 - Ubuntu died

Seska
March 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
I enjoyed Ubuntu for almost 2 years. Unfortunately after upgrading to Karmic everything started to go donwhill.

After I upgraded to karmic koala, my internet connection was either ultra-slow or non-existing at all. I managed to fix this problem... well ALMOST. My internet connection wasn't slow anymore, but I had problems with DNS thingy. There was no fix for months so I had to go back to Windows on all my desktops, but I kept Ubuntu on my laptop. The DNS problem was annoying, but I was hoping for a fix in Lucid Beta.

Well, as we all know, the beta release was moved by one day, but I couldn't take it anymore and "upgraded" my Karmic with Alpha 3 on 3/18.

BAD idea! Karmic didn't fix my DNS problem and I had really hard time to even boot it. After 3rd reboot + update to beta everything died. I can log in, but there's nothing but empty wallpaper - no menus, no nothing... I tried everything to fix it - repair, update, upgrade... even installed KDE over Gnome, but all I get is an empty screen with my old wallpaper.

I had dual boot Ubuntu/Windows on my laptop, but Win is now gone as well - it won't boot, repair, nothing...

So I was thinking - can I install some more stable distro (probably Debian) over Ubuntu without losing any data? There's almost nothing in my Ubuntu installation, but I have (had) more than 15GB of photos in Windows.

Oh and btw - by "some more stable" I mean something older (that works), not that Ubuntu is unstable or anything, it's just probably too good for me.

tommynz1975
March 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
From the Grub did you try the booting into recovery and choosing the top item in the menu?

Can you boot using the live cd and then access your Hard Disk Drive?

Give these both a go and post back.