PDA

View Full Version : Once a Fanboy Always a Fanboy??...

derekeverett
March 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
I can't help it. I'm 34 and was practically raised loving Apple.

I am trying to get away from them. I sold my imac a while back. Figured it was time for a change. I'm a Win7/Ubuntu dual booter now at home but Apple stuff still gets me going a bit. lol

There is rumor now that there will soon be a 12 core Mac Pro. Wow. A buddy of mine suggested that you should have to prove that you can provide some invaluable service to the sustaining of mankind to own a computer like that. I chuckled...

But what I wouldn't give to get my hands on such a machine and see how fast I could process video of paint drying.

You could run OSX and VM's of Windows and Ubuntu all with quad-core processing power.

Just thought I'd through that out there for some opinions.

cascade9
March 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Probably, the 12 core mac pro will be a dual-xeon (each with 6 cores).

Apart from the MacOS nasty licence (ie, 'you must install this on an 'apple tm branded computer') you could do the same thing running MacOS + Windows on a linux boxxen (or MacOS and linux on a windows box) of the same specifcations....and save a lot of money in the process.

koshatnik
March 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM
I don't understand this fanboy thing. A computer is a computer, no matter who makes it. They are slow, crash, freeze up, and deliver very little of what they promise. If you try and do two intensive things at once they struggle, in fact if you do one intensive thing on them they take an age. Computers are bloated pieces of crap that we all spend far too much time trying to hammer into shape to make them vaguely usuable. I find it hilarious that in this day and age of cheap memory, fast processors etc, I've yet to find a computer of any make that didnt take an age to do what should be straightforward tasks. I think computers are the con of the century. They really shouldn't be as crap as they are.

I, like most people, have to use one as a necessity for work. But I still hate the stupid things.

I can't understand why anyone would be so passionate about a single brand or manufacturer of the things, when in my experience, they are all the same - ie, failures.

I look forward to the day when someone produces a usuable computer.

derekeverett
March 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
I, like most people, have to use one as a necessity for work. But I still hate the stupid things.

Does your work involve Ubuntu? I find it curious why you'd hang out here if you hate the stupid things...

RabbitWho
March 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM
Ha ha, 12 cores, they'd at the moment they're charging about 1000/1500 per core duo, so I guess it will cost 6000 - 9000 euro. But it doesn't matter because apple customers can afford it! Hurrah! What a buisness model, they're so clever.

I can't understand why anyone would be so passionate about a single brand or manufacturer of the things, when in my experience, they are all the same - ie, failures.I agree with you that this is always what I expect from a computer (though most of the time it's the OS causing the problems) and for that reason when something runs smoothly i start worshiping it. Someone else buys the same computer and has problems so they despise it, and then we have a big argument online and ruin the internet.

NightwishFan
March 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
Mac stuff is interesting. I prefer Os 9 interface though. If somehow I ever became disenchanted with open source, I would find a way to switch to Apple. I could never go back to a NT based system.

derekeverett
March 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Mac stuff is interesting. I prefer Os 9 interface though. If somehow I ever became disenchanted with open source, I would find a way to switch to Apple. I could never go back to a NT based system.

I like to find the good in all systems these days.

Say what you will about Apple hype, and price, and restrictions... I will likely agree with you on much of it. But bottom line their stuff performs well, looks great, and is stable as software comes.

I have ALOT more software grief with Windows then I ever did on the Mac. Don't even get me started about software grief with Linux(although its fun ;))

And you get some value for your money. Mac's are pretty sturdy and come loaded with all the hardware and software most people will ever need.

koshatnik
March 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Does your work involve Ubuntu? I find it curious why you'd hang out here if you hate the stupid things...

I'll quote myself, maybe you could read posts before replying:

I, like most people, have to use one as a necessity for work.

Just because I use them as a tool for work and for recreation, doesn't mean that a) I have to like them b) that I can't use a forum about them. Where else can I go when something stuffs up and needs fixing?

derekeverett
March 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'll quote myself, maybe you could read posts before replying:

Just because I use them as a tool for work and for recreation, doesn't mean that a) I have to like them b) that I can't use a forum about them. Where else can I go when something stuffs up and needs fixing?

First of all, you said you hate "computers" but you had to work with them. I was asking if you work with Ubuntu because I was curious. And you haven't answered that so maybe it isn't me that isn't reading the posts.

Secondly, I never said that you couldn't use them for work, recreation or any other thing. Didn't say you couldn't use the forum either. I said I was curious about why you would be here, in a forum where most people have a computer/Ubuntu interest. I wasn't saying anything other than I was curious and wanted to make chat.. if you weren't looking for an idle chit-chat than why post in "the community cafe" of this forum?

Thirdly, if you are here because this is strictly a "tool" to help you with something you hate than why are you browsing and commenting in "the community cafe" anyway??

I hope your day gets better and your mood improves. Maybe then you will be able to talk to people like they are more than dirt.

koshatnik
March 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
First of all, you said you hate "computers" but you had to work with them. I was asking if you work with Ubuntu because I was curious. And you haven't answered that so maybe it isn't me that isn't reading the posts.

I made a blanket statement applicable to all computers, regardless of brand and OS. For the record, I use all three major operating systems on a daily basis (win, OSX, linux). They all suck in equal measures.

Secondly, I never said that you couldn't use them for work, recreation or any other thing. Didn't say you couldn't use the forum either. I said I was curious about why you would be here, in a forum where most people have a computer/Ubuntu interest. I wasn't saying anything other than I was curious and wanted to make chat.. if you weren't looking for an idle chit-chat than why post in "the community cafe" of this forum?

No, the way you phrased it sounded like "why are you here then, get lost".

Thirdly, if you are here because this is strictly a "tool" to help you with something you hate than why are you browsing and commenting in "the community cafe" anyway??

I can do what I like as a member of these forums.

I hope your day gets better and your mood improves. Maybe then you will be able to talk to people like they are more than dirt.

Only when computers stop sucking.

You need to deal with opinion better. Sorry if my opinion of computers offended you. I do tech support for the charity I work for, and computers, regardless of platform or hardware, just never stop sucking.

derekeverett
March 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
Your opinions don't bother me at all. Your straight away accusation that I didn't read your post is what bothered me.

I am sorry if you misinterpreted my original question. I realize that is a problem sometimes with communicating by typing, but why assume the worst about someones intentions without asking for clarity.

Whatever this threads dead now anyway.

kaldor
March 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM
I love Apple software/hardware.

On my Mac, I use Safari 4. Why? Because Firefox integrates horribly with OS X. It's an eyesore to look at by default, and the zoom button doesn't work properly.

I also use iPhoto a lot. That application is *great*. On Ubuntu I use Digikam, but it's still a KDE4 application meaning it crashes. iPhoto is still a winner though.

I also know that by using a Mac I am not going to be left out as much when I *really* need to do something with propriety software. That's a big reason why I got a MacBook; local universities recommend either Win7 or Snow Leopard, and only support each. They also push MS Office a LOT here at schools. Crossover can't run MS Office overly well. MS Office is just *one* example.

Those are just a few things I use with my Mac/use my Mac for. I could go on and on, but I don't see much point.

Note: I started on Windows 3.1, progressed to 95/98/XP then switched to Linux, and now I am at OS X/Linux. I'm not an Apple fanboy. Apple makes me mad with their business practices and licenses, but at least their products aren't crap. When I use OS X I feel like I am using a very stable OS. I haven't had a single freeze/crash/problem related to OS X in the nearly 5 months I've used it. That's more than I could ever say about Linux (I'll leave Windows out this lol). I find that OS X is the most solid and appealing user experience right now. Ubuntu's almost there, but needs some work on the internals instead of the "innovation" aspects.

madjr
March 21st, 2010, 05:40 PM
hey @derekeverett

you could say i "was" an apple fanboy too

i was raised with apple stuff here and there (they were at a bad time and needed our help)

apple was about the right size for cheering and they still are in the computer market

i rarely cheer for them now (specially the mobile market), they've gotten too big, but worst of all too ambitious, monopolistic and not playing nice

like a fellow member said: "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely"

they're still in time to make a turn for the better, and i will cheer for them again

for me ANY company that gets too ambitious and monopolistic, is out of my list.

since when did Great power = great bullying?

Uncle Ben and steve's aunty would be ashamed

like it or not, if we want a fair market and the big players to remember their humble roots, the one that needs our attention now is the little guy

fatality_uk
March 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
12 cores will NOT happen in the desktop user space for a VERY long time. The rumour is wrong. Most applications bearly make use of dual core let alone 12. As for Apple, I had one. It worked. all to be said about that. Why try and get away from Mac's? If you like them, use them. I prefer Linux of which Ubuntu is my current flavour o I will stay with Linux

koleoptero
March 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
I made a blanket statement applicable to all computers, regardless of brand and OS. For the record, I use all three major operating systems on a daily basis (win, OSX, linux). They all suck in equal measures.

No, the way you phrased it sounded like "why are you here then, get lost".

I can do what I like as a member of these forums.

Only when computers stop sucking.

You need to deal with opinion better. Sorry if my opinion of computers offended you. I do tech support for the charity I work for, and computers, regardless of platform or hardware, just never stop sucking.

Ain't you a peach! :P

NightwishFan
March 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
I can sympathize with charity tech support. If my people have a problem on Windows.. oh thats just how computers are.. If they have a (not a problem) problem on Linux they freak out. (Such as can't find bookmarks! Which are at the same place as in Windows. >_>)

People fear change. Machines aren't perfect. Where is the fun in perfection?

chucky chuckaluck
March 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM
I don't understand this fanboy thing. A computer is a computer, no matter who makes it. They are slow, crash, freeze up, and deliver very little of what they promise. If you try and do two intensive things at once they struggle, in fact if you do one intensive thing on them they take an age. Computers are bloated pieces of crap that we all spend far too much time trying to hammer into shape to make them vaguely usuable. I find it hilarious that in this day and age of cheap memory, fast processors etc, I've yet to find a computer of any make that didnt take an age to do what should be straightforward tasks. I think computers are the con of the century. They really shouldn't be as crap as they are.

I can't understand why anyone would be so passionate about a single brand or manufacturer of the things, when in my experience, they are all the same - ie, failures.

I look forward to the day when someone produces a usuable computer.

rant of year (seriously). =D>

Duncan J Murray
March 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM
I started on MSDOS, graduated to Workbench 3.1, downgraded to Windows XP and am now happily settled on Linux. I was very much an Amiga fanboy, and I doubt that will ever go. I did respect Apple hardware and software in the nineties, but I feel that recently they seem to be targetting a group of people who are happy to spend a large amount of money on their image and ease of use, and are happy to do that sacrificing a lot of freedoms in the process.

Brv
March 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Well, I'm Mac :] I started on Mac When I was 7 years old Growing. I still love it. Why do you sold your iMac??
I have a other old iMac, running Kubuntu. I love Ubuntu more than Windows :) honest

derekeverett
March 21st, 2010, 11:26 PM
Wow lots has been said here while I was sleeping!

I agree about Apple not playing nice anymore, and their media restrictions drive me crazy. But I still gawk at their stuff.

I also like Safari on the Mac, I HATE it on Windows though! I find Firefox great across platforms.

iphoto is something I miss. I can't find anything close anywhere else. I actually have an unanswered thread up in these forums looking for a photo organizer. I don't care for f-spot, as I can't get it to import files from disk properly.

derekeverett
March 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
12 cores will NOT happen in the desktop user space for a VERY long time. The rumour is wrong. Most applications bearly make use of dual core let alone 12. As for Apple, I had one. It worked. all to be said about that. Why try and get away from Mac's? If you like them, use them. I prefer Linux of which Ubuntu is my current flavour o I will stay with Linux

I'm pretty sure it's true. The imac has 4 cores now so their pro machine is due for a big upgrade. It's not a typical desk model computer.. it costs thousands of $$ and is intended for video editors and graphic artists etc. They require processing power and lots of it.

The mac pro has been available with 8 cores for a while.. so it's not a huge leap.. but it's still impressive. To my Mac brain anyway.

nothingspecial
March 22nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
I hate computers too. Stupid things.

toupeiro
March 22nd, 2010, 01:06 AM
With regards to computing, here's what I'm a fan of: being enabled to do whatever I want/need to do with my computer with the least amount of hurdles to jump that are unrelated to those wants/needs. This statement can be applied to a number of criteria. In all the applicable ones for me, linux wins. Everyones case is different. To me a fanboy is someone who blindly defends their chosen cause regardless of the facts or evidence contrary to their position. That being said however, I for one won't take anyone seriously who labels somebody a fanboy for knowing what they want, what they like, and what works, for them.

cascade9
March 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM

12 cores as 'standard'? Agreed. Depending on what you call 'very'.

But 12 core machines are around, although at the moment its 2 x Xeons or 2 x Opterons (or ecven more CPUs). Witht he new i7extremes being 6 core, and the 6 core Phenom IIs not that far away, 12 core desktops is getting closer and closer.

Personally, I'm not a fan of macs. The machines are well built, but you pay a lot for that, and IMO you can get standard computer that are just as well built. The only reason to buy a mac is because you want to run MacOS, and are paying attention to the MacOS licence...seeing how its more than possible to buy and run MacOS on intel based computers these days (not sure if it runs on AMD, it probably would)

-grubby
March 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Buying and liking Apple computers doesn't make you a fanboy, and trying to eradicate yourself of your desire for them doesn't mean you don't want one. Buying one just to run Ubuntu is more expensive then it's worth though.

seth elohim
March 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Proprietary hardware sucks. But the 12 cores do make me hot under the collar.;)

cascade9
March 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Proprietary hardware sucks. But the 12 cores do make me hot under the collar.;)

Do-able right now, if you have the cash.

Opteron 2435 Six Core-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103689

Dual Socket 'F' Motherboard (for dual opterons)-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182199

Intel Xeon 6 Core-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117176

Dual Socket 604 Motherboard (for dual Xeons)-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121274

Mind you, the opterons are $1000 each, the Xeons a scary $2400 each....

aklo
March 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Everytime i see people saying macs are for graphic artist.
Any reasons for this?? If we are talking about powerful computer, i could build 1 then install windows and i got myself a computer capable of doing anything i want.

I'm not a fanboy of any os. As a matter of fact...i really like the glassy interface of windows 7 too bad it cost a bomb...but i may get it in the near future for dual boot.
Right now i'll stick with ubuntu...i can't wait for the new interface in lucid lynx.

Simian Man
March 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Everytime i see people saying macs are for graphic artist.
Any reasons for this??

Artists are one of the only groups of people irrational enough to buy a Mac :).

Brv
March 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Artists are one of the only groups of people irrational enough to buy a Mac :).
+1 - Im a graphic artist

Doctor Mike
March 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Never really was a fan, just liked PCs because it was the only way to get things done at times. 12 cores... do I shut off the heat in the house? Must need a lot of ram. Whats the FSB?

cascade9
March 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Never really was a fan, just liked PCs because it was the only way to get things done at times. 12 cores... do I shut off the heat in the house? Must need a lot of ram. Whats the FSB?

FSB is sort of going away, but its 1066 on the current 6 core Xeons.

12 cores does not always mean high heat. Its something that the server chips try to avoid...cooling a couple of hundred CPUs gets expensive when they run hot LOL. You can get 6 core xeons with half the TDP of the current i7 970/980s (65watts TDP for the xeon low voltage 'Dunnington' CPUs, 130watts for the 'Gulftown' i7s).

There are low voltage opterons as well.

As for RAM- I bet that they would run fine on 512MB. If it was possible to get memory modules small enough to do that. Realistically, 4GB would be about the smallest you could run (4 x 1GB ECC DDR2)

XubuRoxMySox
March 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
To me a fanboy is someone who blindly defends their chosen cause regardless of the facts or evidence contrary to their position. That being said however, I for one won't take anyone seriously who labels somebody a fanboy for knowing what they want, what they like, and what works, for them.

Fanboys (and fangirls) can recover from rabid fanaticism with time. I'm living proof! Once a rabid Ubuntu fan, now I can acknowledge it's shortcomings. Once an LXDE evangelist, now not at all. All I needed was a few bugs and disabling updates and stuff to help me see things more realistically. Maybe it's a kid thing, or a dancer thing, or an Aspie thing... but my first encounter with something really innovative almost always elicits a tendency towards a "This is the awesomest, bestest, most wonderfulest thing in the history of ever!!!!" reaction. But at least now I've learned that my initial observations are rarely well informed enough to make a proper assessment. Fanboys can learn to "count to 10" (hours, days, whatever applies) before telling the whole world why they must switch to (fill in the blank)! So give fanboys a break, knowing that it won't last. Why make an enemy out of someone while they are in a short-lived state of mania, when you know it's just a temporary madness? When they recover, they might have become a good friend. But if you react to an episode by putting down a fanboy with derisive insults, you only make yourself feel superior for a little while. When the fanboy recovers, though, and is able admit (s)he was wrong about (fill in the blank), (s)he still won't forgive her attacker - who should know better than to kick someone in the throes of temporary elation. Ignore fanboys if you must. But insulting them is just bullying.

Prone to fanboyism but aware of it and getting therapy,

Robin