PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled over K9copy

Sisyphus48
March 21st, 2010, 05:03 AM
:D Not really looking anymore for a solution to this problem as I've already spent more time on it than the Egyptians did on the Pyramids! I'm going to do something else but I just wanted to comment about it to see if others (if there are others) have experienced a similar event. I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now and I love it and it will in all probability always be my main OS. That being said this conundrum with K9 copy has me puzzled. I started using it a year ago and it took a little while and it worked. Then K9 Copy assistant came along and it worked even better, quickly, flawlessly for quite a while. Then, sort of out of the blue, it doesn't work any more. Since I wasn't backing up 8-):roll::roll: very many disks it wasn't an urgent problem but it started to be frustrating so I spent more and more time working to solve it; certain with the help of my forum friends I could. I got many wonderful suggestions which I tried, unloaded and reloaded k9 copy, upgraded to 9.10 from 9.04 and when that didn't help did a clean install of 9.04 again. Won't delineate all the dead end alleys I went down but absolutely nothing got K9 Copy working again!
Since we don't have to worry about Trojans, virus attacks, etc., etc. this whole thing baffles me. No question in my mind that Ubuntu Linux is a more stable, reliable OS than windows (I have Windows 7 and Windows 2000, also) but this is the kind of weird thing I learned to accept about Windows not Ubuntu.
Anyway if you've had any sort of similar experience please share it. Again not looking to try anymore solutions to this enigma just want to hear what puzzlements you might have had.

NightwishFan
March 21st, 2010, 05:20 AM
I have never used K9copy, but perhaps if you do not find answers here, you could ask there.

Sisyphus48
March 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I have never used K9copy, but perhaps if you do not find answers here, you could ask there.

Thanks for the interesting websites NightWishFan. I will defini:ptely bookmark them and peruse them at my leisure!

BigSilly
March 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Is your DVD writer burning OK in Windows (presuming you have a dual boot setup)? It could be that your drive is knackered. This has happened to me in the past. Otherwise, I've been using K9Copy just fine for years. I prefer it over the Windows alternatives if I'm honest.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Sisyphus48
March 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Is your DVD writer burning OK in Windows (presuming you have a dual boot setup)? It could be that your drive is knackered. This has happened to me in the past. Otherwise, I've been using K9Copy just fine for years. I prefer it over the Windows alternatives if I'm honest.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Thanks for your reply BigSilly. Yes, my DVD burners both seem to do fine in Windows but like you when K9 copy was working for me I preferred it over the Windows apt. Anyway thanks again and I like you dog (I have a Maltese).:P

spibou
March 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Anyway if you've had any sort of similar experience please share it. Again not looking to try anymore solutions to this enigma just want to hear what puzzlements you might have had.

For months I had the problem mentioned here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=802570). I had googled for "base session script" and similar but I wasn't able to find what file the error message was referring to. I had abandoned my efforts for a long time since the desktop was working well enough even with the problem. Then I decided to search again , managed to locate the file in question and then solved the problem easily.

The other persistent problem is the one appearing on my signature but I haven't tried very hard to solve it. There are all kinds of things I could try but I haven't bothered.

EDA: When I wrote the above I hadn't realised that when you change your signature it also changes in your past posts. When I say "appearing on my signature" above I'm referring to the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=924730