PDA

View Full Version : The future in computing

yester64
March 20th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hi,
computers went into our lifes for a long time.
First computers were for old kids who had the cash, then computers became mainstream and kids actually grown up with them.
But the one thing that never changed was the computer itself. It always consistent off a case, keyboard and mouse. You always have to have a desk to put the thing somewhere and you need to enjoy the head it distributes.
Then we got laptops which are did not change that much. They got thinner and more efficent but its the same nevertheless.
Now the new kind of computing is coming with the iPad as its most prominent contender.

Now i know that most people will dismiss the product because its made by Apple. But i think this kind of computer might be the next big thing in computing for several reasons.

Reasons:

The user is not bound to have a big or small case of computer to be able to do any task.
Everything will be wireless and you don't need to hook up cables and just by printing a document to your printer from your handheld. No cables needed.
Receive any content and use it without worries.
Can be taken everywhere
Easy to use that even a newbie can operate it
cloud computing

I do hope that at one point you don't need to hook up a unit to recharge it and rather have it charged wirelessly.
Even the ipad laggs some of my wishes and hopes. But i think we will see more things in the future and perhaps cheaper.

Now i know that most people (like myself) are bound to a mindset of how we grown up with computers.
That means, a computer has to have a external keyboard or needs to have gazillions of gigabytes. And there are so many reasons more.
But the cellphone phaenomena showed me that its does not matter at all. All the people use their iphone or any other 'smart'phone to type and write messages, documents doing their work on it.
So i predict that computer use will change dramaticaly in the next decade. So dramatic that my computer now will be like stone-age. A tool from the far past.

The one thing one needs, is to brighten the mind and to not think of whos manifacture is better or a true opensource nerd.
I think that the way we handle our daily tasks will change and sometimes i actually wish it will be sooner.

What do you think? Do you think the computer you have next to you will be also (in general) the computer in the future? Or will it be a more portable computer?

PLEASE. Do not ridicule this topic. Just the general perspective if you can.

NCLI
March 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I really doubt that tablets are the future of computing. You're talking about the iPad like it's something new, but tablets have actually been around for many years now, without making any discernible impact. The biggest problem is that the don't have a physical keyboard, and until touchscreens get way better at making you "feel" what you're touching, you don't want to use them for heavy computing.

I think the future of computing is completely unimaginable to us now, perhaps implants. The iPad and other tablets will definitely have their niche, but it won't replace netbooks, laptops or desktops.

gsmanners
March 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I can't ridicule this topic. Honestly, I think you have that covered already, yester64.

If anything the future is the opposite direction. Big computers in stationary positions meant for more people. Small lightweight computers have been tried and tried and tried for the last 30 years, and they have one thing in common: they all failed.

They're less efficient, they're easier to steal, to lose, to confuse with a bomb. They create more distractions, add to your baggage, make it easier to sabotage your privacy. I'm not really seeing the positive side.

1. You really want to be enslaved to your work everywhere you go?
2. You really need to print everything? Are cables that big a deal?
3. I can receive content just fine here.
4. Why would you want information everywhere you go?
5. My machine is way easier to use than yours.
6. I already use cloud computing just fine without some annoying little machine.

Wiebelhaus
March 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
I disagree , I think the future is smaller as in Android, iphoneOS and hopefully palmOS devices. I'm not impressed or interested in the ipad one bit.

ibuclaw
March 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Someone hasn't heard of SixthSense (http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html) then...

Wiebelhaus
March 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM
Someone hasn't heard of SixthSense (http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html) then...

touche'!

yester64
March 21st, 2010, 12:11 AM
I really doubt that tablets are the future of computing. You're talking about the iPad like it's something new, but tablets have actually been around for many years now, without making any discernible impact. The biggest problem is that the don't have a physical keyboard, and until touchscreens get way better at making you "feel" what you're touching, you don't want to use them for heavy computing.

I think the future of computing is completely unimaginable to us now, perhaps implants. The iPad and other tablets will definitely have their niche, but it won't replace netbooks, laptops or desktops.

No no, its not about the ipad even if it sounds like. My point was only the ipad since it represents the most powerful name in that field.
There is still Google and we do not know so far how far it will take us in that direction. Once we see some hardware it may be even better.
I do agree on the input (keyboard) as the weak point, but it might be getting better in the future. I hope at least.